Sunroof rattle?

I'm taking my 2003 MC in for a 25K servicing next week. I intend to report at rattle. As with all rattles it's a bit hard to pin it down but when I open the sunroof it goes away. I think it's the plastic thingy that serves as a wind deflector but the rattle is there only when the roof is closed. Has anyone had a similar problem? It is somewhat intermittent and I'm afraid the dealer (NW MINI) will blow me off and not address it. Any confirmation that this problem exists for others and how the problem was solved would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Newman

Hi,

Had the same problem with my 1st Mini (Cooper). It was traced to the wind deflector at the leading edge of the sunroof, which is depressed when the roof is closed. My Mini dealership (Vines of Gatwick, UK) replaced the entire sunroof without quibble - it took a day to do and the problem has not re-occurred.

Hope this helps,

Simon RC

Reply to
Rats

Same problem with my '03 MINI One. Same fix. No quibble.

Reply to
Ramases

I also have a 2003 MC and have had a minor intermittent rattle from my sunroof. If I crack it open and then closed again it goes away. sounds more like the hinge than the plastic spoiler. Hard to pin down. Got one in the drivers door and one from the passenger seat when empty. All depend on the road surface - agent ineffective in this regaurd. Alan Day Cape Town

Reply to
Alan Day

I have a 2003 too and I had the same problem. My dealer made lots of adjustments but in the end I asked for a replacement of the whole thing. They agreed willingly - I told them that this is a known problem (it is!) and that it is all over the internet (on mini2.com it is mentioned many times in the forums). All is now well.

HTH.

Reply to
Ramases

My 2002 had a rattle - almost a buzz - from the sunroof area. The dealer recognized it and repaired it readily - don't know what he did but it did not involve replacement. (Not sure if that is a good thing)

Reply to
mf