A series modifications

I have a Morris Minor with an A series 1100 cc engine - what possible modifications could I make to get better performance? What is easiest or best?

Cheers

Reply to
greasemonkey78

head, cam, carby, inlet and exhaust manifolds. Exhaust system.

thats about it really

Reply to
Rob

Oh - rather a lot then. I do already have an unleaded mini cylinder head on it - do you mean shave it a bit to change the compression?

Reply to
greasemonkey78

Your best bhp per pound would probably be to find a cooper 998 head, a

12G295, which has already been modded to fit a later mini and fit that. A fast road cam and a rolling road session would then get the best out of it. There is a bit more technical to it but thats for you to ask when you've got a decent 12g295 ;o) Not sure what free-flow exhaust manifolds fit the minor - bound to be some available somewhere.

Small block A series heads flow badly as standard and can be improved upon easily.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Basically better breathing. The head mods include reshaping the combustion chamber (taking out the heart bit between the valves) and polish the ports.

Twin 1 1/4 SU's should be heaps around set them up to 1100cc Sprite specs thats springs and needles.

A better cam suitable for the road.

Better exhaust manifold.

Was there a special tuning book put out by BMC for the Mini? ( I have the one for the MGB) this shows stages of tune and the expected performance improvement.

Rob

Reply to
nite fire

THE book to read is "Tuning BL,s A Series" by David Vizard. If it aint in there dont bother doing it! - the guy is a total master. Dave "nite fire" wrote in message news:BxzFe.14539$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...

Reply to
nite fire

Easiest and best is probably to fit a 1275 engine. Otherwise, follow the route others have suggested but keep the revs down as the 1098 is a long stroke and not very strong.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Even better fit a Fiat Twin Cam

Reply to
TurboJo

Thanks, I will certainly read the book, but I think that your suggestion for a larger engine (Midget) would be much more beneficial on the motorway.

Reply to
greasemonkey78