Australian built minis

I just got hold of a Parts Manual for Australian built minis and they give a very useful break down of engine numbering codes but only for 1098cc and

1275cc engines. Did any Australian built cars have 998's?

Graham

Reply to
Graham L

As i understand they started off with 850cc cars when BMC exported Knock down kits, when they started there own production they kicked off with imported 850 engines at times with twin carbs but soon went on to 1098 engines that were home cast, these later went in to the Clubman type 1100LS models, I have never come across literature mentioning 998 cars but i could be wrong......

Reply to
Barspeed Beta Version 2.0
998 Coopers from 1963-July 1965

Mini Deluxe March 1965-March 1969

Clubman, Clubman S, Clubman SS October 1975 till end

Moke March 1965-April 1969

All these came with 998's

Plus I've seen other "specials" in the Mini K's and early Clubmans that where special fleet orders.

Reply to
John in Oz

Thank you all. As usual, lots of information.

So, what you're all saying is that a '78 Clubman Van would most likely have been a 1098. Yes? (I have the van without a motor.)

Graham

Reply to
Graham L

no, a late model Aussie Clubman van (after 1975) would be a 998 (but

1098's and 1275's fit if you need to get an engine - just remember to change the brakes if you go for a 1275)
Reply to
John in Oz