brakes set up

Hi all,

Can anyone clear up another little question for me please.

Someone, Kieth Calver I believe, suggest that when rebuilding a front / rear split drum brake setup it is wise to ditch the 4 way valve on the bulkhead and to replace it with an MS72 in-line adjustable brake regulator / bias valve.

Does anyone have any further details on the MS72. The article I read mentions Mini Spares Centre.

The suggestion is also to ditch the regulator valve on the rear sub-frame - using a tee piece instead.

Comments or direction to previous posts / articles would be welcome please.

Thanks

Reply to
Pedro

Is this Keith Calver's article that you are referring to?

It is also on the Minispares web site
but the link to the MS72 partnumber comes up with an error. When researching for the brake set up on my kit I found this article by Dave Andrews that describes how to make an adjustable brake bias valve see link below:-

Cheers Peter

TurboJo

Many thanks Peter

Yes, it was the Keith Calver article I read.

The instructions from Dave Andrews to make the regulator seem straightforward. I'll go down this route I think.

BTW do you know anything about the mysterious MS 72 or is this just a mirage?

I hope my new brake pipe forming tool (Clarkes) can create the single conventional convex flare as well as the concave double flare... :-)

I just want to drive the thing... but its got to be right...

Best wishes

Peter

TurboJo wrote:

Pedro

I made my limiter adjustable some (many) years ago like the article suggests. I use a wing nut to lock the adjuster bolt. I also fitted rear wheel cylinders from single leading shoe front drums. They're vastly bigger bore. The result was that the valve setting was very critical. The reason for the large wheel cylinders was to get an effective hydraulic handbrake. It worked! I now have 2 handbrakes (hydraulic & cable) mounted between the seats with the adjustable valve just behind them making it easy to get at on the road. The handbrakes are mounted one above the other and slightly offset. The hydraulic one is on top for easy access. Both are fly-off.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I think the MS72 must be out of production as it is no longer listed in any of the parts catalogues/web sites.

TurboJo