Difficult starting

I was wondering why my 1989 Mini 998 has difficulty starting when cold. During the recent cold spell here in Holland I've noticed that it takes a longer time turning the engine over before it starts, often several attempts with pauses of around 30 secs between each attempt. When the engine eventually starts it runs fine and starts easily when warm. I've replaced the points, plugs, condenser, HT leads, coil, distributer cap and rotor arm. And the starter motor turns over fine. Fuel is getting through as the fumes are apparent. It wasn't this difficult last winter and now I dread having to start the car after a few days standing as it takes ages.

Any help welcome.

Regards,

Alberts

Reply to
ln1gaw

Have you tried changing the battery? How about the carb, maybe that's playing up and needs a rebuild, do you add some oil to the dashpot?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Sounds like you have changed everything except the battery,,,, so Taffy is probably right, because the frost really destroys batteries Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

It's got a new battery too. The starter turns the engine over without any problems and doesn't seem to fade even after a good few attempts at starting. Recently topped-up the dashpot, but I will check again. I've also fitted a new emulsion tube to the carb.

Reply to
ln1gaw

Ere I'm assuming your pulling the choke right out to get it started from cold? If it's still not starting, check the choke cable is actually adjusting the carb correctly when pulled.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

You have a weber fitted? is the float chamber level ok? what about your fuel pump if that has a damaged diaphragm then the fuel could leak out/evaporate when standing, which would mean turning the engine over for a while before there is enough fuel in the carb to start it. have you checked all your earths on battery and engine ?

miniman

Reply to
miniman

What about the old favourite, ?? the dreaded earth strap,

Just fit a new one from any part of the inner wing to the engine, worth a try Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy