RRC cold starting (3.5 V8)

My RRC has started to have problems starting when cold. Takes about 10-15 secs of turning over before she begins to fire. When hot starts ok, people have been mentioning the ECU may be faulty, hope not as this is big bucks!!.

Dom J

Reply to
Dom J

Hi Dom

Cold start injector perhaps? Thermotime switch ditto?

Injector won't operate unless the thermotime switch is working, i.e closed when cold. AFAIKR.

(Stands back to await expert knowledge)

ECU isn't terribly expensive if you go to the right places.

Rear springs changed ;-) And two tyres :-( which are already showing uneven wear patterns 8-(( Are you going to the Autumn Conference?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On or around Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:48:30 +0100, "Dom J" enlightened us thusly:

what age, what fuel system...?

first suspect would be plugs or leads.

if it's a fuel problem on one of the injection systems, it's more likely to be a sensor. could be a temperature sensor telling it it's warm, so not getting cold start enrichment.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Forget about the cold start injector, this makes no difference whatsoever until temperatures reach -20.

I disconected mine before I sold the RR (sob sob...long story)....

Before you start worrying about ECU's check all the replaceable items first, spark plugs, HT leads, connections to the coil...all the usual suspects.

If you haven't done plugs for a while, go on treat yourself know it's worth while.

Coolant temp sensor is also responsible for lots of running problems, although this tends to be hot starts rather than cold starts.

If none of the above produces any results, time to start looking at the electronic goodies.

Good luck.

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Dom,

I told you the experts would be along to rescue you presently!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Should have put a bit more detail in first post.

1989 D reg V8 Efi. It's got the non hot wire injection system. Plugs and leads new 2 months ago, all plugs gapped as per Haynes book.

I'll have a look for the coolent temp sensor tomorrow. I assume to change this I need to drain the coolent system, which I need to do anyway to change the rad. Can this sensor be tested at all??.

Dom J PS Richard, see you at the AGM!.

Reply to
Dom J

Is that a typo matey? 89 isn't D reg

Same as mine, the flapper system

I would use the proper manual, not haynes as they can be wrong, also check updated data etc.

If you need help, I have the proper RR repair manual here, all 4 inches thick of it~!

I would imagine the coolant temp probe will be on the block somewhere as measuring rad water will be different due to several different reasons.

I am currently trying to get rid of a odd missing on mine & the previous owner & he's fit allsorts new inc dizzy & coil, leads, huggins of other bits. If your sensor doe not sort it, if you live near Bradford/Leeds you can test the various bits on yours to see if it helps?

Ta

Nige

Reply to
Nige