200tdi - smoke in rocker cover

swmbo followed me home last night and said that the Disco was smelling "fumy and diesely"

Popped the bonnet and had a look at the fuel system pipes, looked like one of the leak of pipes had perished, so replaced all three.

Pulled the glow plugs and 1 and 2 covered in oil :-(.

With the engine running loads of white smoke coming from the rocker cover with the oil filler cap off, but no chuffing noise (had a head gasket fail on an earlier disco between a piston and an oil way and that was the symptom)

Doesn't seem to be using excessive oil, and certainly not used any water

Engine is still pulling well so I reckon worn rings are to blame rather than holed pistons.....

-- "Why can't I get huge amounts of money for screwing up??"

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco "The big purple one" 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Head gasket failed between 1 & 2?

Reply to
EMB

Is this the New one or the Green un... cos the Green one has stunk for at least a year and a half that I and half of the unofficial patrons can confirm.

:o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Bacon sarnies!

Reply to
Nige

In my experience of shagged piston rings it will start seeping out of every single gasket and oil seal next,

and watch for it popping the filler cap off the rocker cover and rustproofing the entire engine bay ;), assuming the 200tsi is owt like the 2.5

Reply to
Tom Woods

new one

-- "Why can't I get huge amounts of money for screwing up??"

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco "The big purple one" 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

fired her up yesterday, and from cold there was a chuff chuff noise, which went once warm.

Pulled the head to find that the head gasket had gone between the pistons and the pushrod. Crack was very small, and was probably sealing back up when worn, hence the absence of the tell tale chuffing noise.

Head all cleaned up and nothing else seems to be wrong, so just waiting for new gaskets to arrive.

-- "Why can't I get huge amounts of money for screwing up??"

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco "The big purple one" 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

or more usually .... fish

Reply to