Snap-off steering wheels question

Hi All,

Anyone out there fitted one of those ' snap-off ' steering wheels ?

Is it a straightforward job i.e. just spanners, or more complex ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Squibby

Reply to
MYLES SUTHERLAND

No. I am curious as to why you would want to. These are meant to allow access to single seater racing cars. Getting in and out of Mini's has never been a problem. At least not one that would be helped by removing the steering wheel. Of course, I can only speak from personal experience as a fit healthy person. If you are not, perhaps you have a particular problem. If so, I'm sure help is available.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Dead easy to fit

Dead easy to remove

Just a case of spanners and a lot of grunting LOL

Reply to
matt n caz

In fact it's for a Mini-based kit car that is being built for hillclimbs, and as I am 6' and nearly 15stone I'm a close fit in the driving seat !

By the way, I'm sure you were sincere in your comments, but someone of a more sensitive nature than myself could have taken what you said the wrong way !

Squibby

Reply to
MYLES SUTHERLAND

Believe it or not, I was trying to be careful with my comments. You never know what sort of person you are talking to here. Good luck with the car though. Shame about the power to weight ratio :-)

John

Reply to
John Manders

The nut is 1 5/16 AF. I always found the best way was to undo the nut (leaving it flush with the top of the steering column) then pull on the wheel with by knees while using a soft face hammer on the shaft rather than the wheel. You must leave the nut on as Ryan says otherwise you may need new teeth.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Hi pal, fitting a wheel like this is not different to any other really. remove the original one by undoing the centre nut - 1 inch nut i think. Then depending on make of aftermartet wheel - momo is a good one, but very expensive - you would just bolt the "boss" onto the splined shaft. the actual wheel would then just clip onto this boss.

Ps - tips for removing/refitting

1) Undo the retaining nut, but dont take it off compeltely. the wheel needs to be either pulled or hit from behind with rubber mallet. leaving the nut partially on will stop the wheel flying off and hitting you in the face! 2) Straighten the wheel before removal, then put the new one on straight - then going down the road the wheel wont be off slightly

Reply to
Ryan Shaw

Cheers for all the comments and help, guys - much appreciated !!

I'll have to do something about the power to weight ratio, John !!

Squibby

Reply to
MYLES SUTHERLAND