Webber question

Hi, I've got an old Webber single 32/36 DFAV that I'm thinking about installing. It needs a bit of a rebuild (been stood a while) but I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice on setting one of these up. I've heard that the single progressive webbers are a pita to set up. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
me

hey

i just rebuilt the bottom end on my engine with new case, crank and oil pump. i also have an old 32/36 DFAV sitting on the top.

it started with the first turn of the key, no problem, but the idle was pretty high...

then i got out my trusty exhaust gas analyser, set the idle mixture CO to 4% and the idle rpm to 750. when it warmed up it idled beautifully...

the only pain was actually getting access to the adjustment screws. on an ACVW you get the mixture screw practically jammed up against the fanhousing, and the throttle stop screw sits with the same orientation, just slightly more accessible.

luckily i had my little ratchet angled screwdriver which made adjustment a breeze, but if you don't have similar, you're gonna have a struggle

i would advise Googling on "weber 32/36 tuning" and seeing what you can find, I found some fairly useful stuff in there...

have fun,

Reply to
danny goulder

found it -

btw - you need to go through hell to get it set up and jetted, but i'm gonna leave mine till the bottom end is run in, then i can have some fun cos I'll have a real reason to run with wide open throttle all the time! :)

Reply to
danny goulder

I would also *seriously* recommend getting something attached to the fanhousing to insulate the choke wire *when* it shorts. I got a 10cm square piece of hard plastic, about 3mm thick self tapped to the housing. Breaking down in dense traffic with smoke coming from the ignition switch is NOT nice.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Yeah i hear that - its extremely close to the fanhousing isn't it!!!

think i should put something there - i wasn't sure whether i would need to because i've secured the manifold down to the fuel pump stud with a piece of iron - oh and that came in handy as a mount for the return spring, as I couldn't see anywhere else I could put it...

Reply to
danny goulder

I I think there's a carb with a different designation that more accesable on acvw's. Perhaps dgav or dfev, it's been a long time, but I don't remember having any problems with mine.

Reply to
Elvis Presley

Mine was down tight, its the fan housing that shook about and caused the burnout. The Alt clamp snapped & then the fan shattered etc etc. altogether a nasty job. Do it. I know its a bit late now, but our carbs are the cheap ones. There are better ones that are sort of the other way round. Throttle linkeage is the same, but reversed front to back. I also have am IMDU wrapped round the manifold underneath the carb. as icing here in the UK is a real issue, from about now until early March. The preheat is crap as it doesn't go to the carb base. Aircooled.net has the better manifolds.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

What is a IMDU? I have been having icing problems with my Baja. The manifold heater tubes are clear and they get hot but the base of the carb still freezes.

Reply to
Gordon Parks

Its in Inlet Manifold De-icing Unit

it solved my icing probs literally overnight. No, i am not them, but i do live in the same city. A little electric wrap, held onto your manifold with cable ties. Two wires, one to coil +ve, one to earth. Job done.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort