Valve clearances

Hi All,

Once again thanks to all that offered help/advice on my previous posts, very much appreciated.

Can anyone now tell me if when I stand in front of my mini looking at the engine, are the valves numbered 1-8 from left to right or right to left?

I am trying to check my valve clearances but not one of the books I have tells me this. I know the order of checking and the clearance but not the layout.

Thanks in advance again

Dick Jones Rover Mini Thirty

Reply to
DJ

Hi, Number 1 valve is on the right nearest to the radiator.

keith

Reply to
xx

Well I believe it's from left to right and you start from the radiator end?

Anyway I usually rely on this little book here for advice on setting the valve clearances as the Haynes book of lies can be a bit vague sometimes:-

But it's worth getting a copy anyway as you'll pick up many a tip from it's pages and there's a neat little page at the front where you can enter all your Mini's important imformation and is quite usefull then as it saves you looking for all kinds of documents as you can record it all there.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Isn't that just a tad Irish? The radiator end of the engine is the "front", and therefore cylinder number one is on the right, and valves 1 and 2 are there as well.

Reply to
scenic

when adjusting so long as it always adds up to 9 your fine, so if your doing the 1st valve fully open, the you also adjust the corresponding to equal 9. so if you adjusting the 3rd on from the left you should also be adjusting the 6th on from the left IE 3+6 = 9

Reply to
Tim

I've always used a couple of simple facts ..... the pistons 1/4 and 2/3 go up and down together sooo ... when valves on cylinder 1 are 'rocking' (one is opening while other is closing), cylinder 4 is ready for adjusting. Repeat for all other pairs. Works for me.

Reply to
Stan Blazejewski
87 65 43 21

good luck and greetings from Santiago de Chile

Reply to
SonoMan

That's it Stan,,, the rule of 5 we call it,, example, No 2 cylinder valves rocking , adjust No 3 cylinder valves.......2 + 3 = 5, and so on , very similar to Tim's method, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Well just get that book I recommended above as it'll eplain it all clearly with a little bit of encouragement too stating "Try It, Its Easy!"

But it's worth having the Haynes book of lies to hand too, because that gives all the information on the order to carry out the task.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Thats not actually correct as the cam lobe is still not quite in the correct place. What Tim says is better thats when the cam lobe is on dead centre, adjust 1 when 8 is fully down (opened).

Reply to
Rob

i use the rule of 9 works 4 me

Reply to