Well I'm Back I think?

Well after my broadband provider decided to pull the plug on newsgroups last Friday, i've been trying to find ways to stay in touch with you folks. Anyway thanks to Google-Groups, I can still communicate with you after all! I guess this is the only way to do it know? Or is there easier options available?

Reply to
Taffy

I use Google Groups... is there another way...?

Pedro

Damn you Wanadoo!!! Change your news server in your reader setup to news.infoave.net - it's free, and so far I've found it to be very fast, and unlike other freebies i tried, carries a huge number of groups.

HTH

Gordon Welsh

Well bugger me that works, thanks mate I can now carry on using Newsgroups via outlook express, hooray!

Still I wish Wanadoo had let me know before they pulled the plug last Friday because I spent all day yesterday trying to find another way to be able to access this newsgroup and thanks to Google I've been using that until now. Still why didn't their technical department give me alternative addresses to use instead?

Anyway I can't really complain about Wanadoo as we've just moved address and I wanted to transfer my Broadband account with them, but there was a =A325.00 charge, but anyway to cut a long story short, I told them I wanted to cancel my account, with the intention of setting up a brand new one at my new address so I wouldn't incur the charge. Well to keep me as a customer they waived the =A325.00 charge and gave me 3 months free broadband, so like I said I can't really complain.

Reply to
Taffy

Well I can, and I'm gonna. First I had to pay £20 to upgrade from dial-up to broadband. The not long after, I had to pay another £20 to get to 1meg. Then not long after that again, they said I had to pay another £20 if I wanted

2meg - which I resisted...until last Thursday when, after digging on my own (no chance of them actually telling you), I found that for a one-off fee (£20), I can get 2meg (8 when available), uncapped, with wireless and talk, for the same price as I'm currently paying for 1meg capped, no wireless and talk.

I then found that my dad, by doing nothing other than ticking a box on an online form, could stop paying the extra £5 per month that he has been for wireless and talk, as well as getting his usage limit removed - again, they said nothing, we had to find this ourselves.

Oh, and apparently Wannapoo did tell us what they were planning, only they did it on their own news groups which it would seem nobody read. They also recommended using Google as an alternative...shower of ****!

Grrrr.

Gordon Welsh

Well we were going to change companies, but obviously the deal they gave us made us stay Wanadoo customers, so maybe you should phone and complain to a supervisor, ask for Peter as that's who sorted us out and maybe he'll give you a few months free for the trouble?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Oh and we looked on the web for different Broadband providers whilst we were deciding what to do and everyone claimed that Wanadoo are the best, so god knows how bad the others must be like.

So Wanadoo had their own newsgroups too? I take it they don't now then as they've all been shut down?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

I think it is barking that Wanadoo as one of the leading UK ISPs do not have NNTP servers. Will they get rid of their DNS servers next and point everyone to their own sites? May be they will start their own WWW and stop supporting the HTTP protocol as well. Why are the full flavours of the internet beingwatered down by the large companies such as Wanadoo. The internet is notjust the World Wide Web. I would have changed. Most other ISPs must bebetter as you do not get the full "Internet Service" from Wanadoo. That said I am tied into my Broadband provider as I am in Kingston Communications catchment area so not supplied by BT. We are the ones with white phone boxes. Although I have heard plenty of folks slagging them off fortunately my experience with them has been good.

Cheers

Reply to
TurboJo

I've been with this lot since freeserve first started, and i was shopping around which is how i found the deal i'm in process of switching to...to be honest, apart from the news stuff and not being told i'm being overcharged, I've no complaints.

Might be different if we had cable here, but they went right past our estate when it went in years ago...my mate lives nearby and they just keep upping his connection speed - i'm sure he said he's on 14meg now.

Gordon Welsh

Well Wanadoo are offering up to 8meg now, free anti-virus software and free wireless too on their £17.99 package, but if your already a customer like me, then you have to pay a £20.00 charge to switch services. But like I said, because I created a stink and threatened to cancel with Wanadoo, they waived my home moving charge of £25.00 and gave me 3 months free broadband (3*£17.99), so when I switch my service/package after I've had the 3 months free, I'm still not out of pocket!

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Well yes if you have Outlook Express, you can access your Newsgroups via that. Try it by switching on Outlook Express and going to Newsgroups. It should say Newsgroups on the main Outlook Express page, if not go to Tools, then Accounts and see if it's been set up. If it hasn't or it isn't working, do like Gordon suggested and use: news.infoave.net as the Newsgroup host and it'll search for all the available Newsgroups and you then just need to tap in Mini and then subscribe to Alt.Autos.Mini. Once that's all set, go to Tools and select either Synchronize Newsgroup or better still Synchronize all and it will search and download all the messages for you. Then your able to access this Newsgroup that way, but it's still handy having Google Newsgroups too, so you can access it on other computers.

Hope that made sense?

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

You and me both!! You aren't with doo doo are you?

It has taken me a week and a bit to find a free server. The burgers didn't even tell anyone they were doing it, just pulled the plug. And they haven't responded to my emails!!

grrrrrrrr

Hi again everyone.

The Muffin Man

Reply to
The Muffin Man

Leave your setting up for the old provider and see if they come back on line again most do - its a maintenance thing for them.

Reply to
Rob

Well no I rang Wanadoo's technical helpline and they said they have stopped doing newsgroups for good, but like I said in Muff's message:-

As I was advised, just put "news.infoave.net" into your newsgroup/account details as it's free and it works (well it did for me) and you can then access this newsgroup via Outlook Express as normal . When Wanadoo closed down it's newsgroups, I initially started using Google Groups, but I still find it easy to access this newsgroup via Outlook Express.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

news groups take up heaps of server space and are becoming harder to maintain hence ISP's are dropping them and leaving them to the independents at a cost.

Reply to
Rob

Sounds like good communications again from wannado, if it was ntl they would cut off your email account and then tell you to email them if you had any problems!(allegedly!) Try nildram if you want good service, they outsource their newsgroups too but the retention is incredible, I can still read posts from june 2003! I couldn't do that on freeserve when I had it!

miniman

Whos doing the London to Brighton this year? looks like there is going to be a good club turnout again at brighton!

Reply to
miniman