Well it happened.

I drove my wife over to the grocery yesterday (about 4 blocks) to do some last minute shopping in my '06 Prius. We went in, did our shopping, got back in the car, and it was locked somewhere between on and off. When I went to turn it on, all the red lights came on, but that was it. When I tried to turn it off, it wouldn't turn off all the way. I called the AAA for service, and sent my wife home in a cab. The AAA got there with one of those flatbed trucks. I noticed that by this time, the 12V battery was dead, so the first thing we tried was a jump. No luck. The car was still locked somewhere in no-no land. The next thing was to try to get the damn car onto the flatbed. If he's had a normal wrecker, he could have picked up the front wheels and been off and gone in 20 minutes, but nooooo, he had to get the car onto the flatbed. It took him nearly an hour of backing and filling to pull the car, front wheels locked, up onto the bed. Off the car went to the dealer, too late to see the service department until Monday, and I took a cab home, too (I couldn't climb up into the truck to save my soul, I'm too old and weak.

I'm going to sell the damn Prius and get a car that I can get into neutral if I need it, at the very least. Maybe a Ford Fusion (NOT the hybrid).

-- Regards, Pete snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

Peter Granzeau:

Sounds like a wise choice. The Prius isn't suitable for everyone.

I had the 12-volt battery in my '06 Prius go dead in the morning on Christmas Eve. Fortunately, I was not far from home and my wife arrived shortly with jumper cables. I drove straight to the Toyota garage and they did some diagnostics, recommending only that I recharge the battery and then have them test it again. I can't afford to be stranded in the winter, so if there's any question of battery condition I will replace the battery. Four years / 32,000 miles isn't a very good lifetime for an automobile battery, methinks.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Mine lasted about six years and 69,000 miles. And it appears that Toyota is the only place to get one. Pep Boys and Sears do not carry the 12-volt battery for the Prius, but I didn't check any other 3rd party source.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Huh.

I've drained my 07 12v battery once (within the last year); jumped it, left the car in "ready" for 20 minutes or so, and went on my way.

72K miles on the clock now, the car will be four years old in March, and nary a problem with the battery or otherwise.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Did you try disconnecting the 12v battery to reset the system? Low system voltage plays hell on cars. I know of a 2001 Ram 1500 pickup that when the battery terminals need to be cleaned it will start and run but will not idle, you have to keep your foot on the accelerator to keep it running.

I know on the NHW20 gaining access to the dead 12v battery is no fun since the hatch only opens electrically but it would have been worth a try.

From the wording of your post however it sounds as though you already have your mind made up about this which makes me think only 1 thing: what color is it and does it have SKS? I am looking for an '06 Seaside Pearl with SKS.

I don't like Fords because of the Mike Rowe BS in the commercials and past experiences with them (I do my own maintenance), I don't like new GMs because of the EV-1 thing, I don't like newer Chryslers made since the Daimler merger, the NHW11 is too small, the ZVW30 has that ridiculous suspended arch joining the dash and center console, hence I want an NHW20 Prius. My current car is a '97 Lumina

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Just about any 12V battery will work in a Prius since it doesn't crank the engine. 2 popular options are a Mazda Miata battery, and an Optima yellow top. I would probably run a group U1 AGM power wheelchair battery if I had a Prius. I wonder if a 22nf wheelchair battery could be shoehorned in?

Keep in mind that the posts on the OE battery are smaller than standard SAE top posts so you would have to either trim down the posts on a replacement battery or change the ends on the car. The easiest is to get a battery with studs or flag terminals and just remove the clamps from the car's ends and bolt them on.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Daniel who wants to know:

Bzzzzzzt! Wrong answer. The *easiest* way to deal with a dead Prius battery is to go to the Toyota dealer and have them install a new battery. The impecunious are often forced to do things the hard way, while the skinflint often chooses to do things the hard way. The rest of us understand that time is the world's most valuable commodity.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Nah, the easiest way is to trade it in on a new Prius. But that's probably the most expensive way. ;)

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I had a Corolla with automatic transmission. One morning I had a flat battery and couldn't shift out of Park. The man from AAA gave me a battery boost and said the transmission would not work with a flat battery.

Reply to
John

Probably because of a shifter brake interlock system using a 12v solenoid. My Lumina has one of these too, an audible click/clunk is heard from the steering column when applying or releasing the brake pedal while in park. These can be somewhat easily defeated with a dead 12V. The NHW20 Prius has a gear reduction switched reluctance motor on the transaxle to actuate the parking pawl and IIRC it has to be removed to manually take the car out of park. The NHW11 however had a "normal" cable operated parking pawl linked to the shift lever inside.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

Sure it will. You just need to read the owner's manual.

Absent electrical power, you need to insert a flat object into a slot near the shifter in order to release the shift lock.

Voila.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'm not up to doing anything under the hood any longer, and disconnecting the 12V battery would be worse, as that would be someplace under the hatch, right? Anyway, if this had been my home computer, I would have disconnected power right off. Prius needs a "final power" switch someplace to remove power from everything.

But the inability to get the car out of Park with a dead battery also needs attention.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau

The 12V was weak, but not quite yet dead (the clock was still working, for instance). And those AAA trucks have a pretty good power source, as everything turned on real bright when he connected. Unfortunately, I still couldn't get the car out of Park.

*sigh* I suppose any other car I buy will be as bad. grauerbazzle.
Reply to
Peter Granzeau

My '05 is fast approaching 100K miles, and I have had zero battery problems.

Reply to
Jean B.

Sounds like your 12v battery died for some reason (lights left on, aging battery, etc.) and left your Prius without sufficient 12v power to start. The long term fix is to replace the 12v battery. It's a relatively small inexpensive battery...in the $50 range at CarQuest. The short term fix (so you won't have to call a tow truck again) is to jumpstart the vehicle. Under the hood, there's a + battery post that connects directly to the 12v battery buried out in the back. To jump start the Prius, you pull another vehicle next to your Prius and place a battery jump cable (the red one) between the + post on that vehicle and the + battery post under your Prius hood. Nothing will happen, though, until you also connect the negative battery post on the jumpstarting vehicle with the frame on the Prius. This is what you do next. It is very important to get a good connection to some part of the Prius frame under the hood...not some piece of black plastic. The Prius only has one cable back to the battery (the + cable) so the frame serves as the negative cable...but only if you make a good electrical connection. Once you have the + and - terminals properly connected with a good voltage source, when you push the Prius start button, the main relay will pull in and drop the powerful main Prius battery online and you will be up and running. Too bad about your experience but you live and learn. If you sell your Prius, though, you'll still be okay as the resale value on them is very strong because of their performance and reliability. Good luck!

Reply to
David T. Johnson

It's an '06, 21000 miles, and the local Ford dealer offers $10,500 for it in trade for a Fusion. I don't know how that works, but his black book ranges below that amount.

In my incident, the battery was in fact low, but the first thing tried was a jump. The car wouldn't come to Ready status (e.g., no change in the car). Only after the car wouldn't turn on (it was stuck halfway on, with every ready light on the dashboard lit), we decided to tow it.

When the holiday weekend was finally over, I called the service department, and they said the car started right up when it was delivered. Maybe the bouncing and jouncing it got being taken to the dealer got it to reset.

Reply to
Peter Granzeau