Help: alt.autos.toyota.trucks?

Hi-

Where may I find this (alt.auto.toyota.trucks) discussin group outside MSN/WebTV? I found this dicussion group through MSN/WebTV, however, it would be better if I could find it with my desktop PC, using IE 6.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for any help you-all can send.

-Oscar

Reply to
oscar jean

configure Outlook Express from Tools->Mail and News from IE, configure a newsreader, subscribe to alt.autos.toyota.trucks, and browse and post to your heart's delight

Reply to
TacomaDude

Reply to
Victor D. Ulmer

What Internet Service Provider are you going to be using? With AOL you are locked into their proprietary software, but it works. Sorta.

A few ISP's have decided not to handle Usenet Newsgroups at all, last I heard MSN didn't offer them - if you haven't signed up with anyone in particular yet, be sure to ask about whether they offer Usenet and if so are there any traffic caps or limits. (They may limit monthly usage because of people swapping program, picture and music files, which get big. But that cap is often a gigabyte or better a month, you'll never hit the limit with only text groups like this.)

And realize that there's a lot more 'figuring it out yourself' involved when you go with a real ISP as opposed to WebTV's (And AOL's) hand-holding style.

Good luck finding someone at first-tier Tech (Non)Support at most big ISP's that has a clue about Usenet, you'll be better off keeping the WebTV account active another month until you get it figured out, so you can ask for help here.

You need a dedicated newsreader like Outlook Express - but find the OE-Quotefix patch before you get started, otherwise OE has a habit of mangling the text, which annoys everyone else. ;-) Someone here has the address to get the program patch...

Or get a much better inexpensive/free newsreader like Agent/Free Agent at

It's worth the $29 to get the extra filtering and functions, but you can try the full version for free for a month.

With Agent/Free Agent, once you have the server name and all your information in properly, you go to the "Online" pull-down tab and select "refresh groups list". After a little churning (and a wait on dial-up for a big list) a list of all the available newssgroups on your ISP's server pops up. Scroll through till you get to alt.autos.toyotas.trcuks and click on it, a pop-box will ask what you want to do - get all headers or only a "sample" of the last 50. Choose, and away you go.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hi-

I would ike to thank you-all for your time and research, for my question with your answer.

Have a great Toyota adventure; an experience that's worth waiting for.

-Oscar

Reply to
oscar jean

Reply to