Vacuum in fuel tank/any advice ?

When removing the filler cap I"m getting a rush of air into the tank. Is this normal ?

Cooper sport 500.............

Reply to
Michael

If it's a late twinpoint then the answer is yes. It should have a non vented cap - OE caps have green plastic on the underside, vented have red plastic. The fuel tank vents to air via a charcoal canister under the passenger side wing. It's another euro thing to reduce hydro/carbon emissions to the atmosphere. When the fuel cap on my wife's twinpoint got screwdrivered in that fuel dispute I just refitted an OE vented cap.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris

Yes it is a late twinpoint (2001),does that mean it should have the cap with the green plastic on the underside ? The one on it at the moment is the red one.

Michael.

Reply to
Michael

Michael,

Regarding the colours - it's the other way round to what i said! Just dug a new vented one out I have here. It has 'vented' written on the green part in 3 languages, I assume the red part may have 'unvented' written on it somewhere?!

green is vented red is unvented

Your car should originally have a red one - like you say you have.

Fitting a green one will do it no harm and it wont fail mot if you do fit one. I believe fuel caps must only be lockable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Chris. My car runs fine,it just seems odd the amount of suction on my filler cap when I remove it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael