Wire diagrams SMITHS rpm meter ..

Hi everybody,

Stumbled over an old SMITHS revometer kind of thing. Unfortunately the terminals seem a bit knackered and thus I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to connect what.

It's the 82mm kind, from the 70ies, it also seems to be negative earth. There is a combined terminal with three connections on one side and a further connection (which I would think might be the lighting).

Any ideas?

Best regards,

-.jan.-

Reply to
Jan Wurster

there is a terminal for power and an earth. The thing runs from a loop of wire not actually terminated at the rev counter there should be a plastic fitting for this to go through.

Reply to
Rob

Hi Rob, Kenneth ..

Seems m> there is a terminal for power and an earth. The thing runs from a loop

Ok, so the large terminal needs to get + / - ... thanks ..

So doesn't it connect at all, meaning that the thing operates via induction like one of those ignition testers? But that would only work with a sensor sort of thing that clips around one of the ignition leads, wouldn't it? Or can you just have a feed from the coil (input) and connect that up to the pin?

There must be a way for it to count rpms ;)

I've got a (very small) plastic thing that sat on the threaded pin (not connected) when I got it .. but couldn't figure out what it was for ;)

Best regards,

-.jan.-

Reply to
Jan Wurster

has to be the 4 leads then. Just thinking does the tacho have a 4,6,8 setting on the back? as after market ones are like that.

As well there were lots of cars that were fitted with these some positive earth cars which included mostly cars with generators prior to fitting alternators.

Comes off the coil

See if you can find a date stamp on the body.

Look up a wiring diagram for an MG or Sprite.

rm

Reply to
Rob

BTW The Mini Clubman has the tacho wiring built into the wiring harness.

Reply to
Rob

Hi again

I've tried wire the tacho to the coil in different ways - and at some point I get a count but it is much less than expected - and the needle is not steady but wobbeling around (!?).

There is no indication on the back of the tacho that shows + or - or 4,6,8 on the back. I've only been able to find these diagrams for the Smith tacho :

Can someone provide other diagrams or a link for such info - or maybe diagram for the MG / Sprite ?

Kenneth

"Rob" skrev i en meddelelse news:434edac7$0$13322$ snipped-for-privacy@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au...

Reply to
KennethDK

No, but it's a 4 cyl one, it says on the gauge, conveniently ;)

mhm .. I think it is negative earth but I can't say for sure, unfortunately. The seller said it was from mid-70ies so I think it should be neg. earth ...

[ignition signal input]

mhm, ok. I think I will just try to route a feed from there and/or try it in my 1991 rsp (which also has the rpm signal, like any 3-gauge-type mini), hopefully that will work, then :)

Basically I've bought the smiths for a future project, so the matter is not that urgent and I've got time to play around first ;)

thanks and best regards,

-.jan.-

Reply to
Jan Wurster

Ill scan the pages, you will need a couple as there is a part numbers and colour code plus a pos earth and a neg earth types and you can trace them, if you leave an email address.

or send me an email to ---- wizone at myrealbox dot com

see if that still works. or leave something here and ill get back.

rm

Reply to
Rob

Thanks Rob Mail sent!