TDI : "safe" RPM ?

Hello,

I'm driving a TDI van (VW Multivan with the 5cyl 102hp tdi engine), and I'm wondering what is the maximum "safe" rpm (without "abusing" the engine) that I can keep for an extend period of time (say one hour for example).

For instance, is it dangerous for the engine to keep it floor'ed ? (this mean keeping the engine at 4000rpm for extended period of time).

A bad habit that I inherited from my vanagon time ;-) !

TIA

P.

Reply to
Pierre_Cat

I would say as long as it is below the redline, properly warmed up, in good condition, with proper oil pressure, everything in tune. Then why not... make sure to watch your engine temperature tho.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

when I'm on the motorway doing 80-90+ mph, the rpm is regulary at 4000rpm. But then I'm driving a petrol and i know diesels weren't made to rev as high as the petrol.

Reply to
Joe

If you're talking about "truck" diesels, that's true. Modern car turbodiesels, however, have no problem hitting 4000 rpm for long periods of time.

sd

Reply to
sd

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
skydivertu

I'd say running it at ~ 50-60% of redline for long periods of time is OK. Above that, I'd be weary.

Reply to
93 Fox

My diesel is computer limited by the automatic tranny to around 4400rpm or so, that is when it will upshift if I have it to the floor (never really do it, just wanted to see how a diesel reacted to a flooring when I got the car, I find it accelerates quicker if you let the speed build up and have it shift at like 3900rpm)

I don't know what the limit is by the computer in neutral.... redline starts at like 4800 or so...

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yeah, that's so true... The higher you rev (on average), the quicker your engine ages. I wish cars didn't just have odometers, but also total rev counters (i.e. 100k miles averaging 2500 rpm is a lot different from 100k miles averaging 3500 rpm).

Reply to
93 Fox

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I think that if you don't rev the VW engines then that could hurt them too! JMHO

83 GTi engine in my 83 Audi 4KS with 221K miles and I don't "baby" it either!

dave

Reply to
Rob Guenther