1987 Mitsubishi montero

I just got a 1987 Mitsubishi Montero. It has a new engine and carburetor. I know this as a fact because my father and I put it in. We bought the motor from some guy out of Texas. Anyhow, after getting it all back together I am only getting 9 MPG on freeway and about 6 in town. I can not figure it out and have taken it to the local mechanic and he could not figure it out. Any suggestions?

Reply to
decepticon4ever

Is the carburetor the correct one for the engine? Does it have the correct jets? Is the floatbowl leaking into the intake? Are the pump jets leaking?

Are all the emmission controls properly connected and functioning?

Is the cam alignment correct? Is the timing correct? Does the distributor advance work?

Is the compression correct for a rebuilt engine? ie about 200 psi

And finally... Is the 4WD transmission set to Low range (assuming it has one)?

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS