1990 eclipes 2.0 bucking when cold

I just purchased a 1990 eclipse for son. The car is in reasonably good shape for the year. I can tell it's been sitting for awhile, however it starts right up and idles fine.( It is a manual transmission). But when I take off with it, it starts bucking pretty badly then smoothes out after about fifty yards, then stopping and starting again are no problem, (it only does this after it sits and cools completely off), after that I can feel a slight skip to it while driving but after awhile that seems to go away as well. With the car idleling and standing at the rear exhaust I can here a faint skip to it even when the car is warmed up. I checked the plugs and their brand new as well as the wires look to be new also.

After reading in here that the ECU is a common problem I went ahead and pulled it out took it apart and the capacitors looked fine (no leaking or very little if any, nothing like I've seen in the photos).

Because it's been sitting for awhile does this sound like water in the gas?

Help please!

Reply to
shebert

Replace the plug wires.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Typical Mitsubishi victim noises snipped...

It is unfortunate that you spent your hard earned rupees on what is virtually a Japanese Trabant. The last thing you want to do now is spend more money after bad on it.

Your best bet is to offload the car now before your son becomes too attached to it. It its comprehensively insured you would do the used car pool a good dead by torching it.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Bhagat Gurtu ha scritto:

I strongly disagree with this opinion, I have a 1991 Eclipse and yes, I did a good work on it and also spent some money, but the car is great, the power is enough to take pleasure when driving and also the shape is good.

I was also able to do many small jobs by myself. The complicated side is the engine and electric wiring but nothing is impossible and the result is worth the hassle.

Remember that a 4g63 engine is capable of 400 bhp and can last, in standard configuration, around 350000 kms without fail. All spare parts are available for cheap on ebay.

Prior to trash it ask here and you'll find the way to run the small bullet.. Don't listen to TATA fans LOL!

andrea italy

1991 Eclipse GS 2.0DOHC
Reply to
Andrea

They don't them Mitsushitty for nothing.

How many 4g63 engines do you see every day which has over 350K? I bet you wouldn't see any. Urban myth designed to make the owners of these shit boxes feel good about the "potential" of their appalling purchases.

TATA make reliable solid machinery. Mitsushitty make consumer junk. They occupy the lowest tier of the Japanese quality hierarchy. Even Mazda make better cars (probably because of Volvo/Ford assistance) and that is saying something.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

well, mine is 180k and when the workshop opened it, they told that the engine was as new. obviosly, 350k is a goal that all modern engine can achieve. I had a Hyundai Pony (1.3 Mitsu engine) that ran 380k and was trashed for unavailabilty of spare parts..

andrea

Reply to
Andrea

My 1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD has 374,000k on it and still running strong. The

4G63T was a great motor that was over-engineered. If you look after the engine, they trudge on forever. Keep on top of the timing belt, remove the balance shafts and you're good to go. My car is proof of that.

--Adam

Reply to
Adam Newman