Bucking 1986 CJ-7

CJ starts, idles and revs fine. Has started bucking as I start out in first and work up through the gears. Any thoughts on where to start? Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
Mark Holmes

A broken tranny mount will cause it to buck starting out or a broken engine mount can cause it to buck as it accelerates under load.

Mike

Mark Holmes wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

engine leaking oil onto the clutch...rear main seal or bad valve cover seal

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the vagueness of my first post. It is also accompanied by stalling. Could that indicate a carburetor problem instead of transmission? (fingers crossed)

MBH

Reply to
Mark Holmes

Usually if it is carb related it will either stall at idle or die out/bog when first giving gas in the next gear up.

That means the carb needs a kit put in it. Kits are cheap, in the $20.00 range and are easy to put in.

They are supposed to get a kit with every major tune up. Change the plugs, put a carb kit in at the same time. I do mine every two years. (emissions time, eh)

Those carbs also have idle tubes that get plugged easy. A chemical clean wont clear them, they need to be physically reamed at the crimped end. I have a set of mini files that come from a welding supply place. They are metered size and are for cleaning torch tips.

Here is an article on the idle tubes:

If it surges at idle, post about it, that is a different fix.

Mike

Mark Holmes wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain