1991 Mistubishi Eclipse 1.8l starting problem

Hi all,

The problem is constant, everytime I try starting the car it usually takes between 3-15 cranks of the key. The starter WILL spin every time, and occasionally it will engage the flywheel, but even with engagement, it doesn't always stay engaged long enough to turn the engine over. If the engine actually turns over, it will start. This problem seems to lessen if there is a fully charged battery in the car, but does still exist regardless.

Also, it is an 4 speed Automatic, and whenever it tries to shift into overdrive, the car kicks into neutral. I'm then forced to manually take turn overdrive off, and slow down the engine until it automatically reengages into 3rd gear. My question is whether this is a transmission problem (i.e. replace the transmission) or a electrical problem with the overdrive relay.

Thanks!

Thomas

Reply to
phios

Sounds like your "magnetic switch" doesn't have the force to engage the bendix. This is a cylinder shaped device mounted on the top of the starter motor. Don't over look the starter relay either. The test for the magnetic switch is to disconnect the wire on the "M" lead of the switch and apply 12 volts from the battery between contacts "S" and "M" on the magnetic switch. The bendix should pull in with a snap. Warning, DO NOT apply 12 volts for more than 10 SECONDS, you will fry the coil. Lead "M" has the wire going to the starter motor Lead "S" is the center (top) contact.

There is very high electrical currents here, be careful and watch out for shorts to ground.

Ray

Reply to
Nirodac

Where is the starter relay located on this model, do you have any idea?

Thomas

Reply to
phios

The starter relay is located in the relay panel located under the dash on the drivers side. It's the middle of three relays. I suggest you check the magnetic switch first. I would bet that it is the problem.

Ray

Reply to
Nirodac