1994 Nissan Sentra Starting problem

I have a 1994 Nissan Sentra that has developed an odd starting problem. At times when the shifter is in Park and I try and start the car nothing happens other than the dash warning lights come on. When I move the shifter to neutral the car starts. Now this morning the car would not start in either park or neutral. It eventually started after a few tries. my shop tends to think that the ignition cylinder is the culprit. Before I drop some money on the repair has anyone else run into this issue?

When the car does start it kicks right in and there's never a problem, the starter does not turn over slow and the engine kicks right in.

Javier

Reply to
Javier

on 9/24/2008 12:28 PM Javier said the following:

Could be a worn ignition switch. Put the key in the switch. Pull it back counterclockwise hard towards you. Now, sneak up on the start position slowly. If it works, get a new ignition switch, or just start the car the same way all the time.

Reply to
willshak