1994 1.8L Talon sluggish

My 1994 Eagle Talon 1.8 liter has been sluggish since I got it ~ 5 years ago. Mileage is about 20 mpg. The check engine light behaves normally. I've checked the O2 sensor and voltage is within good range. My "mechanic" friend said small cars with 140 Kmiles are usually that way.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Lurker

The 1.8L cars never had sparkling performance, though 20 mpg is somewhat low. Clean out the throttle body, replace the air filter and adjust the timing to spec. The ECU can output an error code without setting the Check Engine light.

Make sure you don't have dragging brakes. If an automatic, is it shifting correctly? I can't imagine anyone driving a car for 5 years with a trans in limp mode (2nd, 3rd only), but it possible, and is one explanation for the fuel consumption.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Thanks Stewart. I did a "routine" on it when I got it (included new air filter). Shifts just fine. I have redone front and back rotors and pads two years ago and I can tell you they do not drag. Last year I cleaned the throttle body with SEAFOAM (supposed to be a good product) twice(there was enough in the bottle) . Adjusted the throttle sensor because idle was low. Had head gasket replaced last year so I assume timing was checked and set. (maybe not). It doesn't burn or lose oil though it needs oil when I change it (the exhaust looks good). I understand it's as wimpy as you can get but with gas prices . . . . and tailgaters . . . . .it's not in limp mode it's just underpowered.

Reply to
Lurker

Was this the screw and lock nut on the base of the throttle body? If so, this is probably a partial cause of the poor mileage. This screw and lock nut is NOT the idle adjustment, though it will affect the idle speed. Its purpose is to set the shut position of the butterfly valve.

Idle speed adjustment is via the Air Idle screw. Look on the TOP of the throttle body for a 10mm black plug. Under this plug is a big Philips screw. Adjust this to set the idle speed.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS