1999 eclipse GST or 3000GT SL

im thinking of getting a 1999 elciose GST or a 1999 3000 GT SL, when compared side by side what are the difference? and which is better?

Reply to
AirborneDSM

The 3000 is a larger, heavier car. The 3000 is more of a pain to service because the V-6 is wedged in kinda' tight. The GST sometimes suffers from a thrust bearing failure in the crank (crankwalk) The GST is easily crafted into a sports coupe that will best the 3000 in all respects. In both cars, the AWD version is VASTLY preferred.

Reply to
simpleton

is the 1999 eclipise vaslt superior to the 1990 model? my brother has the 1990 model brough in 1990, and when i turned 16 it was given to me and that was in 1999. and that car breaks alot. example, i got the clicking starter problem, the power steering is leaking, and when it does, it drips into the alternator which messed it up. i already replace the engine at 140Kmiles, and the transmission twice. the alternator 2x, the starter 4x and the power steering onces. and the ECU onces.

lots of problem for the 1st gen eclipse. however, it drive very fast and can still do 100mph easily.

3000VR4 is way beyond my ability to pay. and 3000GT has been my favorite car to have.

Reply to
AirborneDSM

"is the 1999 eclipise vaslt superior to the 1990 model?"

The engine in the '90 is a stronger motor. The was a change to the engine internals in later models; the main bearings caps , rods , and the oiling system. The result is an engine that sometimes fails because the portion of the crank bearing that prevents shifting side to side wears out prematurely. The head, block, crank and oil filter housing/cooler on your 1990 are superior pieces and are the ones favored by DSM people. The 1999 car features a stiffer chassis, beter aerodynamics, improved suspension. It's a better car that's better handling and better looking to most most people's eyes. My car is a 1997 awd with the motor from a 1991. I have combined the best features from several different model years into one car.

"my brother has the 1990 model brough in 1990, and when i turned 16 it was given to me and that was in 1999. and that car breaks alot. example, i got the clicking starter problem, the power steering is leaking, and when it does, it drips into the alternator which messed it up. i already replace the engine at 140Kmiles, and the transmission twice. the alternator 2x, the starter 4x and the power steering onces. and the ECU onces."

It sounds like your brother drove the car hard and maybe did not maintain it the best. Starters in these cars seldom fail; this is true for both 1G and 2G cars. 4 starters failing is really uncommon-something is going on there, maybe bad rebuilds. Leaking power steering is something I've not dealt with but is an easy fix. Here's the sad part about the ECU and why us old school guys like to run into you first.....The ECU fails because three electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board leak caustic crud. The repair parts cost less than $5.00 and any TV repair guy can fix it in 15 minutes. It's a common problem but there are intructions on the net and it's something that most car people could do themselves. The dealers want a lot for that part.

"lots of problem for the 1st gen eclipse. however, it drive very fast and can still do 100mph easily."

Very true and that's why many people buy them. The 4g63 motors in those cars are supported very well by the aftermarket. It is a very easy engine to work on and there are huge tech databases maintained by the good people in the DSM community. You would be shocked to find out how many of us are driving around in 400hp to 600hp street cars with decent reliability and better that stock fuel economy.

If you're lucky, Todd will chim in here, he owns both cars and is a very knowledgable guy. Until then, you have a lot of reading to catch up on....Start here:

simpleton

If you want speed, the GST is faster than the SL. The VR4 is faster than a stock GST, but not by much. If you are patient, look for a GSX, any year, and you will be happier than the VR4 or GST.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Reply to
lwg