2006 Eclipse Lousy Mileage

I'm getting about 17 mpg out of a 4 cylinder Eclipse. Any ideas?

Reply to
NewHopeWitch

Because it is a stinking Mitsubishi shitbox?

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Could be a variety of things. Is the Check Engine Light on, and are there any ECU codes being output?

Your fuel-air mixture is way off. Possibilities:

  1. leaking injector is dribbling fuel all the time.
  2. Dirty air cleaner.
  3. Timing is off.
  4. O2 sensor slow or failed
  5. clogged Catalytic converter.
  6. coolant temp sensor disconnected or failed. This signals the ECU to adjust the timing and mixture.
  7. partial ECU failure (always in open-loop mode)
  8. Assuming an automatic, is it changing gear correctly? eg to 4th OD, not stuck in 2nd gear Limp mode.

You could try a) disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to reset the ECU b) look for any vacuum hose air leaks (unlikely, this usually causes the car to run lean and hot) c) put some injector cleaner in the gas

d) take it to the dealer for a tune up. Is it still under warranty?

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Too luxurious.. Tata Nano is his goal.. provided he'll afford it..

Reply to
Andrea Zambelli

Hmmm. Well, I grew up in Sydney, and my first car was a 56 Morris Minor Traveller. It went with my first girlfriend too. Ah, what memories ... but I digress.

I would disagree that sticking in a Holden 6 (grey or red motor) was common. Far more common was replacing the A series engine with 1275 MG Midget or

1500, 1600 or 1800 B-series. I stuffed a 1600 MGA into mine and fitted the bigger Morris Major drum brakes. A mate had a 2 door sedan with an MGB 1800, and I guess you could say it "flew like shit off a shovel". The biggest problem was breaking axles and the occasional diff.

Six cylinder? It simply would not fit unless you cut a BIG hole in the firewall (or stuck it out through the radiator) and did all sorts of unspeakable things elsewhere, like replacing the complete rear axle and suspension. The front suspension was pretty useless with the standard torsion bars and all the extra weight. The registration authorities could and did refuse to register such a vehicle.

While I was in the army I knew a guy who built a complete steel chassis, fitted a Holden front and rear end, and dropped the 4 door sedan on the top. Driver foot and leg space was "cramped". THIS was registered only because of the chassis. There was also a case near where I lived where a Ford sidevalve V8 was put in (with standard drum brakes no less...), but the driver was stopped for speeding (no, really!) and the vehicle was instantly issued with a no-drive defect notice and unregistered.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

They were not top of the range, but what a university student in the late 60's could afford ferchrisakes.

If you are into cheap and nasty rice then Mitsushitty probably satisfies some people. The things have no class whatsoever. Almost any turbo car with EFI can be hacked to go faster. It doesn't take much skill to do that.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

That was more common I agree. The Morris driveline was not robust.

Yep, the old grey motor with an intrusion into the cabin. There were quite a few kicking around my part of Sydney. The registration authorities never got to see seriously modified cars in those days, only if you were stupid enough to try to get mods approved or a cop decided to defect a car.

There was some crazy shit driving around before the authorities made road safety a big business. Today's rice boys with their pathetic shiny BOVs, neons and crap don't know what they missed.

A Ford sidevalve V8 would probably make less power than a modern NA 4 cylinder engine. They sounded great though.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Hey there Mr. Bat Grunt. Spreading your usual load BS I see. Regarding Fords, this is one of the few times I would agree with you. Anything Ford=POS. For example, a Mustang is a POS regardless of the amount of HP. I say this being a former Ford Mustang owner. If there is one thing in life that I hope never to do it is to own another crappy Ford. I love my '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse!

Reply to
Gyzmologist