Eclipse questions

I am considering an Eclipse GT as my next car and I'm wondering if anyone here could help me with a few questions I have. What was the first year that the current body style was produced? And of these years, was ABS ever offered on the GT? On 2004 Eclipses, ABS is only available on the Eclipse GTS. Thanks in advance for any info.

Reply to
Alex

Why would you want a 3g Eclipse? What is wrong with a GSX? The GSX has more HP and torque...and adds AWD to boot. The 3G is a pale comparison to the 2G.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

And why else wouldn't I want a 3G 2004? My last car had a 6.6 liter in it and went like the wind, I don't need the HP or torque now.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

Reply to
t_bone

"And why else wouldn't I want a 3G 2004? My last car had a 6.6 liter in it and went like the wind, I don't need the HP or torque now."

you might desire a dependable car with some sort of residual resale value.... B/T/W, unless your talking about storms ranked by the fujida scale, the wind isn't so fast.

Reply to
simpleton

"And why else wouldn't I want a 3G 2004? My last car had a 6.6 liter in it and went like the wind, I don't need the HP or torque now."

this guys post says it better:

"Hello, I have a 2002 Mitsu Montero and recently the service engine soon light came on.

The dealer said (after charging me 85 dollars to diagnose it) that I need an oxigen sensor worth 300 dollars. In fact, they said that I should replace all four because they usually go out at the same time. Which means that it will cost me 1200 dollars.

Has anyone had experience with this light?

Do I have to replace all four sensors, or just the faulty one?

Any advise?

Thanks

Pat"

Reply to
simpleton

Because of the advantages you just pointed out, as well as being older, second generation Eclipses are a lot harder to come by. All I really want is a car that drives more like a real sports car than my current car, a Ford Escort. A newer Eclipse GT is light years better in that respect. But you are right, as a true performance car, the older Eclipses have it all over the new ones. With the current popularity of the Evo and WRX I wouldn't be surprised to see AWD and a turbo in the next generation Eclipse in a few years. I saw a concept for the next generation Eclipse in Car and Driver which had a hybrid AWD sytem, with a gasoline engine driving the front wheels and an electric motor driving the rears. Pretty intersting to say the least. The styling was also more like the older Eclipses.

Reply to
Alex

OK, how bought greased lightning then.

Wasn't it about 4 years ago that Mitsu got caught covering up defects in it's cars, that would be the 2G model, wouldn't it. Granted, Mitsu still didn't do anything after that.

My sons 91 Laser (1G) had two computer (ECU) modules pack it in, new price was $2000 each cdn (ended up repairing them myself). And yes, having 1 oxygen sensor fail after 2 years is a problem, but isn't that what the warranty is for. Just about every other auto NG has someone complaining about their vehicle failing something, hence the lemon law.

I see very few people if any, actually coming into a NG and saying how much they love their car and that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm trying to point out here that even the earlier Mitsu products have problems. Other than HP and torque what makes them better or worse.

Considering the last car I had for 20 years, resale isn't a factor in my choice, but would certainly be an issue if I was planning a short term purchase.

Was just curious how these cars get a bad "rap", haven't seem much in print. I've been to the JD powers and Edmunds sites.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

what production car offered 6.6 liters of displacement?

The viper have a 8 liter v10, the zo6 is 5.7liter v8 .....,,, maybe a truck sold by chevy would offer 6.6 liters

Reply to
Eclipsed

what production car offered 6.6 liters of displacement?

The viper have a 8 liter v10, the zo6 is 5.7liter v8 .....,,, maybe a truck sold by chevy would offer 6.6 liters

Reply to
t_bone

what production car offered 6.6 liters of displacement?

The viper have a 8 liter v10, the zo6 is 5.7liter v8 .....,,, maybe a truck sold by chevy would offer 6.6 liters

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

Cadillac offered a 500 cubic inch V8 (8.2 liters) from 1969 through

1973. I had a '69 Eldorado with such an engine, and it was remarkably quick for a 2.5 ton front wheel drive monster. Yes, it used PLENTY gas. But then gas was only around .40/gallon.

Reply to
Geary Morton

Well, if you were in FL, I have a customer here that needs to sell one of his cars. It's a 1997 GS Eclipse (Non Turbo), Silver, 17" rims, lowered, mint condition inside & out. Has a blown motor in it, but a perfect motor on the stand ready for the swap. He wants $3,700.00 for it all. If interested, contact us.

UrHookUp

UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!"

UrHookUp

"Actually my 1977 Mercury Couger XR7, for one, it had a 400CID Cleveland engine. It really was only a 6.5548256 liter engine, but I rounded it off. Arguably the best car I ever owned (note the "I" in the "I ever owned")."

my mitsu 4 banger makes more hp and torque and does so with better fuel economy.

Reply to
simpleton

Well actually so does my Mitsu (almost)but then the 400 was turning a half the speed, and the car weight twice as much (almost). Civics, with Vtec produce good ratings, but then how often can you keep the engine reving a

6K. Ford (and I imagine GM and Chrysler), changed the numbers, for emission reasons. If you backed up to pre 1973, the numbers increased greatly. It's amazing how the numbers changed to get the HP down in 1973. Of course I added my own "improvements" from Holly, etc. But we could get into a pissing contest here, that I really don't want to. Bottom line, I'd trade my 03 (or a 2G for that matter) Mitsu for the 77 XR7 (restored) any day (subject to wifes approval).

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

what production car offered 6.6 liters of displacement?

The viper have a 8 liter v10, the zo6 is 5.7liter v8 .....,,, maybe a truck sold by chevy would offer 6.6 liters

Reply to
Eric F