4G63T SMOKER to stroker...

Today I got the 4G63T smoker out and pulled it down to see last November's new pistons and rings rattled and smoked.

The bore was (supposedly) lightly honed by two guys who I thought knew better, after all they work on a couple of EVO8's and know Mitsubishi well. Well, hone job was a bit severe. The top 18mm of the bore is tapered, you can see it and feel it with your finger. To put that into perspective, 18mm down the piston is just above the oil rings. No wonder the piston slap was so bad: the compression rings were barely doing their job once the piston reached the last 18mm of stroke. The only solution is of course a rebore, and doing the assembly myself.

So ... on with the 4G64 stroker crank and 2.3L.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

There is nothing unusual about a Mitsubishi engine smoking.

Here, when one is driving and gets a whiff of burning engine oil from a car in the traffic ahead, a popular game for my children is to guess what kind of car is making the smell. Invariably it is either a Mitsubishi of some kind (Magna/Galant/Colt) or a Mazda.

Even my 3 year old son knows that Mitsubishi engines are smokers.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Hmm, it seems that trolls can't read either. Any engine that gets the cylinder bores tapered will smoke.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

I read well thank you. Of course any engine will smoke if the bores are like you say they are. I was just pointing out the important detail that it was also a _Mitsubishi_ engine.

I will thank you for not referring to me as a troll. I am a citizen of this Mitsubishi channel just like you, but our point of view differs (you like Mitsubishis and I don't).

It is unlikely that the countless other smoking Mitsubishi engines operating on the world's highways are all suffering from bad hone jobs. They usually smoke because of high wear rates on their rings, or premature valve guide wear. Just today on aus.cars a guy posted this....

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Hey there Mr Bat Grunt, pretending to know something about cars again?

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I am not an automobile technician or whatever they like to call themselves these days but I have worked on plenty cars both out of necessity and enjoyment. Just last week I replaced the balljoints and lower control arm bushes on my own car.

I know plenty enough to recognize shit when I see it. Mitsubishi is the epitome of automobile shit. Even you know that, but being a Mitsubishi owner you are in denial.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

What make, model and mileage?

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Wrong- I used to own an AMC Gremlin - THAT was the epitome of automobile shit! No wait, maybe it was the VW microbus that I pulled the engine about 6 times. I got it it was the AUDI diesel that died with only 125K on it. OR maybe the Nissan pickup that I replaced the transmission on twice within

150K? I know - it has to be my wifes Volvo that just turned 100K and costs us $500 everytime the dealer looks at it!

Sorry you got burned somehow with a Mitsubishi, but I have had two with over

130K with no major problems - and they have been the infamous crankwalk 2G's!
Reply to
John

Lawns have bushes. You would be much happier doing something constructive and positive with your life. Just think, you could become well respected rather than being a joke.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

I doubt Mr Bat Grunt has ever owned a Mitsubishi. He probably dislikes them because they keep blowing his POC off the road.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

My Mitsushitty has 107,000 miles on it, and still has the original ball joints and bushings. My piece of crap and grossly inferior American Dodge has 137,000 miles on it, and the original ball joints, bushings, and shocks. Who is in denial?

Reply to
Gyzmologist

My boss, who has a v70T5 wagon, says "...old Volvos never die, they just suck the life out of their owners".

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Stewart, so what kind of progress are you making?

Reply to
John

Well, I have to get the car back on the road, so I'm rebuilding the 4G63 stock. 2.3 or 2.4 would be nice, but it won't happen this year.

The issues are another $1200 or so to do a stroker, and I really can't justify it.

- Have to buy a 6 bolt 4G64 for the crank

- Buy Wiseco pistons ($500)

- In a 4G63 stroker, the compression ratio is 8.8, and hard to get Wiseco to do 7.8-8.0 versions because of compression height issues.

- Can rebuild the 6 bolt 4G64 (or my old 7 bolt from the Expo) but would have to put in oil squirters and do various other machinings to fit the DOHC head.

- the 4G64 is 6mm higher that the 4G63, and hood clearance is very tight. Not insurmountable but just one more thing to handle.

- I spent $700 getting the front bumper bar, center member, top engine mount and 40 odd other bits sandblasted and powderpainted to slow down the rusting.

- There's the final AWD conversion costs coming up too.

And lets not forget "she who must be obeyed" has to be convinced its all a good idea.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS