stalling 95 Eclipse

I have 95 Eclipse that keeps at low speeds and idle. I have tried changing the fuel filter,plugs,wires.Desperately in need of help, any ideas?.

Reply to
red dragon

Sounds a lot like a stuck EGR valve, or a sever vacuum leak. One quick and dirty solution would be to cut some shim stock to block it off and see if that fixes it.

Reply to
Gyzmologist

OK, it idles and revs to about 2000 rpm. Have you checked the cam belt timing? You may have slipped a tooth or two.

The fuel pump may also be having difficulty delivering fuel for a variety of reasons. This does NOT necessarily mean that the fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Remove the fuel cap and see if the engine runs properly. What can happen is that the evaporative purge system gets blocked or damaged, and the pump generates a partial vacuum in the tank. Eventually the vacuum exceeds the pumps capability to deliver fuel.

Also, on the injector rail end you'll find the pressure relief valve that returns fuel to the tank. If this has failed you won't get enough pressure to run at other than idle or so. you can simply remove the valve and TEMPORARILY block the valve hole with a disk of, say, plastic or thin aluminium to stop fuel return. If the engine now runs properly, there's the problem.

You may also have dirt in the tank that's blocking the in-tank filter. Consider draining the tank from the drain hole, if it has one.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

i went through a similar problem until my friend who is an auto mechanic came over and helped me. I had also changed out the fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, vacuum hoses, etc. Here is what it turned out to be. If you pull the spark plug wires out of the engine and shine a flashlight down into the holes, at least on mine, there was a very miniscule amount of standing oil in them. This was causing the electricity to conduct between the engine block and the spark plug rather than at the other end of the plug where it is supposed to. He sprayed some "brake cleaner" down in there and use an air compressor to blow the rest out, then stuck something down in there with a paper towel to get the rest. The car was completely different afterwords. However, it would still idle rough every now and then. I told him about it and he said he forgot to use this special grease on the plug wires that helps conduct electricity from the wires to the plugs. So he came back over and applied that, and it has run smoothly every since and that was over a year ago. Here I was thinking it was something more serious, and it just needed something simple done. However, the problem is caused by a leaky head-gasket and so the problem is likely to return and I'll have to clean it out again.

Reply to
adric22

Actually no, there's no connection from the head gasket to the plug tube. What DOES leak are the big O rings that sit on top of the plug tubes under the valve cover.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS