2003 Eclipse GTS Stereo

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2003 Eclipse GTS with the Infinity stereo and it is total crap. Any bass line floats all the speakers and you can barely hear the rear 6x9s at all. I brought it back to the dealer and they told me there is nothing wrong with it.

I want to replace the speakers and possibly the stereo itself. Does anyone have any suggestions on speakers to replace the 6 there (I am just going to disconnect the lousey cone speaker on top of the dash, it's useless)

So I need:

2) 6x9s for the rear 2) ?? for the doors 2) tweeters

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the stereo and not lose the steering wheel controls?

Thanks for any advice, JD

Reply to
John D

Actually the head unit itself is pretty damned good but just like all the other makers (including the top-marks) they skimp on the speakers themselves. A $100 stereo with $500 speakers will most always sound better than a $500 stereo with $100 speakers. After all, you hear the speakers, not the stereo. Change out the speakers and then see if it's not up to par. I've heard a few with aftermarket speakers and they sound VERY good.

I have yet to see a kit out there that will do this. You simply end up with a dash mounted clock and buttons on the back of the wheel that you can imagine control the cannon that nukes the cell-phone yapping yuppy out of your way...

Reply to
DragonRider

Thanks for the info Dragon

Any specific rec's on speakers? I was eying the Kenwood eXcelon

and
for the rears and front. Anyone have any experience with either? I don't like HEAVY bass, but I would like the speakers to no float on a bass line either.

Reply to
John D

A few years ago I'd have been happy to but I haven't shopped speakers in ages. I used to be a serious audiophile but I've gotten away from that. At the moment not one of my 4 vehicles has a working stereo and it dawned on me the other day that I haven't missed it a bit.

Reply to
DragonRider