92 talon TSi, lights flicker

when i am driving, the lights will flicker off, then back on at random intervals. Along with the lights, the stereo will do the same thing at the same time. it is a small stock stereo, so i know pulling too many amps is not a problem. Im not sure if it does this when the lights are off though. It is too quick to tell if the engine is dying or not. Any suggestions?

Reply to
RW

Tony Hwang

How do i check the alternator and regulator when it only happens so often? will there be something that is a constant with this issue? On a side note, I just replaced 3 capacitors on the computer in the car because they were bad and causing the car to die. the car doesnt die anymore, but the lights still do their thing.

Reply to
RW

Flickering lights indicate a charging system problem. Most likely is that a) the alternator has lost a diode and the charge voltage is pulsing; or b) there's a bad connection to ground from the engine to the chassis.

The ECU capacitors are unrelated: usually it just age that causes the failure.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Have your alternator checked out by a car parts store that does it for free. The battery also could be the problem. If you can get your hands on a ODBI computer, check the readings of the alternator. Should read 13volts. You might have a short somewhere. Check the fuses.

-Teak

Reply to
Teak

Thanks everybody for the info. I think what im gonna do is buy the pocketlogger and run some tests with that. If that doesnt work out, i can still use it for other issues when they arrise. When i fix one thing, it seems there is always something else to set me back.