94 Galant..Back door won't close

I have a 94 Galant GS DOHC..Yesterday I opened the back door and now I can't get it to stay closed..If I shut it.. it doesn't latch. If I make a turn it just flies open. I had to have someone hold it closed while I drove home. I have it bungied closed right now. anyone know how the latching mechanism works?? I tried to get it to latch with no luck..Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Chris

Its funny eh! Honestly, what do you expect from Mitsushitty engineering?

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

Hey there Mr. Bat Grunt. You know I really enjoy Australian red wines. I sincerely hope Australia's government isn't as screwed up as ours in the US. There are a number of things about Australia that I admire and enjoy, just not you. Remember, if you wants friends, you must be friendly!

Reply to
Gyzmologist

The door latch mechanism is a sort of cam-fork system. The metal loop you see on the door pillar is what the door latches on to and the cam-fork rotates and latches.

I'd guess that when you opened the door, the cam is jammed in the open position. With the door open, try rotating the cam-fork with the shaft of a large srewdriver. If it does rotate and latch, good. If it just moves in and out (which I suspect) you'll have to take the door trim off and see what's jammed or rusted solid.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS