95 Jetta door lock. door flies open

My jetta driver side door latching mechanism just stopped working. The door will shut flush, but the latch never takes hold. I tried a bunch of stuff like pushing the latch down with my key, holding the door handle 'open' when closing it... etc. The only thing that kinda works is when I have it locked and it kinda stays closed...

Any ideas?

Reply to
archamedes

Yes, make absolutely sure you wear your seat belt...

Remote possibility: check to see fi the striker or the latch are loose at all, maybe just alighment? A new latch is probably in order.

Reply to
PeterD

let me guess, it's been wet outside, and it's below freezing now. Common problem, I've had limited success cleaning out the latch in the door, and packing it full of grease. It keeps the water off the mechanism, which freezes and keeps the latch from working.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

I have had to change the left front door latch in a '95 Jetta. This was the summertime about 3 years ago and the latch was just bad. :-( I can usually repair them with new springs or some oil/grease but not that time.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Try warming the mechanism and then spraying with WD-40, this will help remove any water and alot of the gunk that may have built up in there, really lay the WD-40 to it. then follow up with a good silicon spray. Remember WD-40 is not a lubricant. If that works, then get that mechanism out and properly grease it. Usually if it does need grease then this method will work as a way to show it, with taking it apart first.

But like someone else said, check the alignment first, and the play in your hinges, if the door has to raise itself on closing it takes away the momentum needed to properly latch, kinda like closing the door with

2" of pull.