94 galant rack and pinion

my car is making this metal on metal sound when i make a left turn. nothing goes on when i turn to the right though. my cousin who had a 95 eagle talon said that it might be my rack and pinion, but not sure. my auto teacher at school said that i could change my power steering fluid and that might stop it but i just wanted to know if anyone else was having that problem and what they did. i want to change the rack and pinion but i want that to be my last resort.i can use any help that i can get. thanks

Reply to
94galant