1990 mustang rack and pinion question

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion. Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack? Is this hard to do?

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am leary of autozone on some things.

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but have done about everything else.

Reply to
stryped

i bought a rebuilt rack from lonestar here in houston for 89 bucks took an hour to replace

Reply to
IsellJeeps

I bought a new rack from O'Riley Auto Parts here in Houston and with a liftime warantee. Works great. I reccommend using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF fluid when you change it. It is a much better fluid and if your powersteering pump whines using the Mobil 1 ATF will make it run whisper quiet. You might as well replace the tie rod ends while you are there. Take your old rack off and take it up to the Autoparts store for the core charge. Before you give it to them lay the new one and your old one on the ground and mark with a marker where the tie rod ends are positioned. This will get you in the ball park so once it is installed you can drive it to a shop and get a front end alignment. It will be off after you change the rack.

Reply to
Clark Kent