Re: oil consumption on 03 montero & tecnical service bulletins.

I had the same problem with my Eclipse. This was the problem: THE OIL WAS SLOWLY COMING OUT FO THE VALVE COVER THROUGH THE GASKET. It was hardly noticeable due to no drips on the pavement, or smoke from my exhaust. I noticed it when I was changing my own oil. The residue around the components seemed to me excessive, so I followed the "oil trail" up to the valve cover! Yahoo for me. But this seems to me like there is another underlying problem, valve gaskets just don't go bad, I'm going to have the PCV valve checked to make sure the engine is "breathing" properly. Good luck to everyone on this issue, I hope this helps.

Reply to
The_Rooster

I had the same problem, so i applied a liberal amount of gasket goo around the circular part of the rocker cover in a thin film, oil leak stopped even tho it wasnt that bad, just the smell of burning oil had me worried. SO i took the rocker cover off, cleaned in fresh petrol and put in a new gasket and applied the selastic suitable for car engines and wham nice clean seal with no leaks. Mind you a mechanic in a local servo wanted 75.00 to do the work. I did it in 30 mins and 3 cups of coffee lol

Peter

Reply to
Peter