Head Bolt & Loctite

Should I use loctite on my head bolts?

LR manual, section 12 suggest the application of loctite. Rather than the steel gasket I used the composite type, the directions that came with the new style gasket has no mention of loctite and suggests the use of oil on the threads to get the proper torque. Are these "torque to yield bolts" and do the need the use of loctite?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

It would probably help if we knew what motor or model you refer to! JD

Reply to
JD

does it really matter. its a LR. I'll amuse you none the less...

1989, LR Range Rover, 3.9 L, Auto
Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Of course it does! It's not merely a landrover, it's a "limousine in a bolier suit"!

If pre-cross bolted block (easily visible from outside, normally 10-bolt heads but a few 14's did escape), bolts are re-useable. Clean threads of all old sealant and wipe threads with a lint-free oily rag then fit. If it's a later cross-bolted block or has 10-bolt heads, then the bolts are stretch and must not be re-used. Badger B.H.Engineering, Rover V8 engine builders.

Reply to
Badger

OOOOPS! Should read "normally 14-bolt but a few 10's" etc. Sorry. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thank you Badger.

I converted the head gaskets from steel to composite. This eliminated the lower 4 bolts. Soooo I do have the 10 bolt configuration with the torque to yield bolts. My question simply stated was: The direction conflict. The manual, section 12 suggests the use of loctite. The "white paper" that came with the new bolts suggested to lightly oil the threads. I suppose I should follow the directions of the white paper. Its in already know anyhow. If you are suggesting that the old bolts can be used again than I should clean them up and put them on eBay. No sense in throwing 14 decent bolts out.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

You're welcome.

Good move.

You might get a couple of quid for them, hardly worth the effort. Bin them.