99 Galant - Rear brake tone

When I apply the brakes on my 99 Galant V6, there's a strange tone that comes from the rear of the car. It's not a scraping sound, but a single tone. If I release the brake, the tone disappears. Reaply, tone comes back. I notice it also, but it's not nearly as loud, when turning a corner.

Is this mitsubishi's brake wear signal or something? I've never heard a car do this before.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Well, those are 6 year old brakes. I'm betting the front have been changed once or twice? I think it's time to do the rear. If I remember, that's rear disc. You can get new rotors and pads for far less than 60 bucks and have it done in 20 minutes. If you can't count to 5, DO NOT PAY TO HAVE IT DONE! Disc brakes are child's play. If you feel the need to pay for it, get a 5 year old child or woman to do it and buy them an ice cream. I'm tired of people paying 300 bucks to get disc brakes done, especially on Mitsus...maybe on a Ford or GM hunk of shit.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

I would take ya pads off and see if they are glazed, some times having glazed pads can cause a low pitched noise simply when ya putting your brakes on its hitting the glaze first, causeing the noise, slip out ya pads and scrape on a smooth concrete pathway or use 360 grade wet n dry and take them back to having no smooth surface

Hope it helps Peter

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for both responses.

I'd be more than happy to try it myself and save myself some bucks, but it's been about 25 years since the last time I did brakes.

Any recommendations for a repair manual?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

You shouldn't need one. There are only two bolts holding the calipers on. Take those off, put the pads and new rotors on, and reverse. Takes, at most,

20 minutes. Most of the time is spent jacking the car up and taking off the tires.
Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Really that self explanatory, eh? I'll try taking of of the back wheels off this weekend and take a look at it.

Thanks! Especially, thanks for saving me $$.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

I looked at the rotors, and they're very smooth Can I get away with just new pads?

Reply to
Doug

Success! Rear pads replaced. Piece of cake. Thanks!

Reply to
Doug

You could. Rear brakes are a small factor in braking. Most of the work is done on the front. On a performance car I wouldn't recommend it, but a Galant isn't a performance car (at least since they gave up turbo, AWD, and AWS). I rarely change rear rotors on my beaters, or turn them.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know