Pug 205 1.6 GTI Rear Brake Cylinder

Hi,

A mechanic recently freed-up the rear brake cylinder which had seized.

It looked pretty brutal, I was wondering if that cylinder could lead brake fluid at some time.

Is this possible, or not possible due to design?

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Highly likely. The corrosion that cause the seizure is quite likely to cause a leak when the shoes wear and the piston seal crosses the corroded area. I would change the cylinder before any leak starts and wrecks a set of shoes or anything worse!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the car has a brake system design that operates on the the other brakes should a problem occur with a particular brake.

Thanks

Reply to
species8350

Not sure about your specific car but most vehicles have had dual circuit brakes for many years. My 1995 405 does but I'm not a 205 expert. If your going to do the job yourself, the brake pipes are normally siezed into the back of the cylinder. Get some penetrating fluid soaking in there a few days before you try the job.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi,

I notice on my brake master cylinder two wires.

I think that these are probably to indictae low fluid levels, but there is no brake level warning light in the car.

Any idea what these wires are for.

Thanks

Best wishes.

Ps. Workshop manual does not mention them

Reply to
species8350

But there will be a faulty brakes light. STOP

Reply to
Tony

Hi,

Nope, the STOP light doesn't come on with a low fluid level. There's a light (which doesn't light up upon start-up) in the corner of the clocks, IIRC. Best guess would be to put ignition on (not necessarily start), press the button on the braking fluid's "button" on the filling cap, and see what light comes on (should be a red one).

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

Or short the two wires together of course.

Reply to
Tony

GT

I am a bit lost by this bit:

'There's a light (which doesn't light up upon start-up) in the corner of the clocks, IIRC.'

I know my car has a dual circuit braking system, Is the master cylinder a dual system? If not, then presumably all brakes could fail if a leak occured?

Best wishes

species8350

Don't know about the Pug one, but on my previous car the master cylinder "tank" had a divider at the minimum fluid level that directed the flow into each of the circuits making them independent from that point.

Reply to
Keith W

Hi Keith !

I was a bit slow in answering, you got me there. Damn, I'm running like a rocket, not really at home on this week-end :-)

Same on the Pug, for some obvious safety reasons... Plus the low level alert light, which should be lit when the sender hits the low level line, which is a bit above the division.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

Hi GT

Can you clarify where the warning light is

Best wishes

species8350

You do have the advantage of having the car in front of you!

It is usually a single light that comes on as a lamp test with ignition on and before starting. It lights up when the hand brake is on when the engine is running and also comes on when the front pads are low (rarely works due to corrosion)and also when the brake fluid is low. On most cars it has a circular symbol looking vaguely like a disc brake. hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Rain wheres that not here in Addlestone Surrey.

--=20 Chris

Reply to
Chris

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Enjoy the bank holiday, despite the rain.

Reply to
species8350

Hi,

You were once again faster than me - I've not been that many at home these last 2 days.

Nice wheather, sunny & warm for the past 3 days here, around Paris. Now, we're waiting for the thunder.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

You spoke too soon Chris. My garden is now waterlogged ;o)

Reply to
Keith W

We are talkinga bout rain in fact it all started about a Rear Brake Cylinder,Did the person get it sorted out ?? well must go got to join the m25 and m1 to go to Leicester,

Reply to
Chris