Brakes on Carisma

Hi

I changed the pads on my carisma and bled and all seems ok. Good firm brake, does not go down that far and seems to stop well.

ABS kicks when I test brake sharply anyway.

One thing I was thinking though, with diagonal brake systems on modern cars, if one circuit is bled very well and the other circuit has air in it how would you know?

ie if one circuit has air, would the pedal be soft and go to the floor or would the good circuit provide the pressure to give a firm brake so you would not know about the bad circuit? Just scared I am driving on one front and one rear brake. Don't think I am though!

Yours Paranoid.

Reply to
NewModelArmy

I have bled the brakes (changed the fliud) on my Carisma every two years for the past 11 years - never had a problem.

My technique is to get my wife to push the brake pedal down and expel fluid from a given brake. At the bottom of the pedal travel she is asked to keep the pedal down. I lightly tighten the bleed nipple, and then she releases the pedal. That way when the master cylinder `pulls back', fliud has to come from the reservoir, and no air can get sucked in through the closed nipple. Open the nipple and repeat the sequence a number of times to bleed the system. Keep the master cylinder reservoir topped off !

If you are concerned about the brakes, jack both front wheels off the ground and get somone to operate the brake pedal. Try to rotate each front wheel via the hub nut - they are done up pretty tight so I doubt if you will loosen the hub nut doing this - but mark it just to be sure.

Reply to
C W