1993 Eclipse -- Revving question

I came across a thread in regards to the consequences for revving an engine and had a few questions. For starters, I have a 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse (automatic), bought from a private seller with a brand new tranny; I have owned the car for a good 3 or 4 months now. Now, I was just wondering if revving the engine while in park to about 5 or 6 rpm is bad for the tranny and/or the engine (no, not on a cold engine either). Also, is "manually shifting" a bad thing do to as well? Meaning, start off from a dead stop in "L" rev to around 3 or 4 rpm, shift to "2" rev to 3 or 4 rpm again, and finally shift to "D". I don't do these things often, considering my uncertainty of the consequences, so I figured I'd ask on here.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
FeaRx

There's never any useful point to revving an engine to 5 or 6000 rpm in neutral. Doing it occasionally or accidentally/momentarily won't hurt anything. Holding it at 6000 rpm without load is not recommended. It won't hurt the transmission, unless of course you select a gear at high rpm. Transmissions are designed to selected to Drive at idle speed.

Manually shifting an auto transmission as you describe has no ill effects.

More to the point, the engine and transmission should be treated with "mechanical sympathy", and they will last for years.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

First, thanks for the reply. Secondly, yeah, I know holding it at high rpms isn't good, that's just common sense. I never hold it at the rpms, I just rev it to 5 or 6 rpm and let go immeditaly. Anyways, I appreciate your reply because it certainly answered my questions.

Reply to
FeaRx