Cruise Control

'97 Diamante.

Sometimes, when I try to engage the cruise control, it doesn't start. If I hit the button on the dash to turn it off, and hit the brakes a couple five times, turn the button back on, more often than not it will then engage. Once engaged, it works as expected.

I suspect that the "shut the cruise off because the brakes have been applied" circuit is hanging up in some fashion. Is there a relay or something simple (and cheap) I can swap out? I don't really care to put much money into this car.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Although I don't know anything about your particular mobile excrement, cruise controls systems in general take an input from the brake and clutch via a microswitch, this is to allow an immediate disable of the CC function when you push the clutch or brake pedal.

If pulling the pedal up with your foot before you enable CC allows it to work then you have a dodgy switch or pedal assembly.

The microswitch is probably sticky or in need of adjustment. Perhaps the brake pedal has too much free play and is allowing the switch to sense a closure. Try squirting some aerosol ghee into the switch (in case of sticky switch). If there is too much free pedal travel it is probably because the pivot hole is worn oval (Mitsushitty are not known to use good quality metals) - maybe you can rebush the pivot hole.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu