Electrical problem on 90 Laser RS

Maybe someone here can solve this...I have an excellent condition 1990 Laser RS turbo.everything is wonderful EXCEPT...the battery continually is drained whenever the car isn't running. Obviously, I've put in a new battery. We've gone through numerous alternators. We've cranked the headlights into the up position, thinking one (or both) weren't completely down, or reading as down. We've disconnected the giant fuse/relay thing (sorry, it's early and my brain can't find the *correct* word)....nothing has helped. It seems to charge the battery while running, at least there are no signs of it being about to die on the road. But let it sit for 5 minutes, battery is dead.

Any and all ideas appreciated......thanks!

Reply to
Otto Ramone

Do you have any stereo amplfier that is "running" after the amplifier left on?

- With the car running, disconnect the POS + (red) terminal of the battery, if the car dies immediately, the alternator is not charging.

- Measure the voltage across the battery with the car running. 13.5 to

14.5 volts should be measured.
Reply to
Eclipsed

Voltage reading of 13.5 to 14.5 at the battery, with the engine running AND the battery connected, is sufficient to test the alternator. Turn on a few accessories if you want to see output under load, use an inductive amp meter if you have one, but DON'T disconnect the battery on a modern EFI car while the engine is running~ you may get lucky and not fry anything, or you might end up with some nasty voltage going places it shouldn't.

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney