Engine Management light

I have an x reg spacestar 1.8 gdi auto which has a little problem

The engine management light keeps coming on, it has been reset by the garage 5 times and i have disconnected the battery 8 times just to clear the same fault.

acording to the garage the code means that the car is over fueling on braking, when they contacted mitsubishi due to the constant reocurrance they state a fuel pump problem, but as there is no noticeable effect on the car and it still accelerates as well as it ever has then i doubt this very much and at =A3458.00 i am not prepared to pay this and then find the fault still exists.

As there is no noticeable problem with driving the car, all i am asking the group is 2 things really, what else could cause the car to over fuel on braking and is there an easier way to reset the system apart from disconnecting the battery everytime, as i can not afford to keep going and spending =A335.00 everytime for a reset.

Like i say i have very very grave doubts that it is the fuel pump. can any one help me please.

keep up the good work

regards

steve

Reply to
skippy

There is no other easy way to reset the management system except by disconnecting the battery . What is the fault code number ?

Reply to
jonny

I have no direct experience with the diesels, but here's my $0.02.

The CODE indicates this is the case, and its probably true. "Over fueling" AFAIK means that too much fuel is getting into the engine. There are however other reasons than an expensive fuel pump that can cause this.

Fuel gets into the engine from the injectors, which are controlled by the ECU, and they meter fuel from the fuel rail pressurised by the fuel pump. Under braking the ECU SHOULD be switching off (or reducing) the injector cycle.

I'd have the garage check the injectors for dirt and / or leakage, and give them a good clean up. If one or more injectors is leaking despite being turned off, there's the source of the over fueling.

Also verify the fuel pressure at the injector rail. Fuel pumps almost never provide too much pressure, as failure modes are usually less or no pressure.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

What Stewart mentions is called "coasting fuel cut" .

I don't know anything about the direct injection system (gdi) but in the multi-EFI set up the injectors close on decelleration.

I'd look for a mechanic more familliar with GDI

From what I've pulled up on google, that is one crazy motor. the fuel pump is computer controlled with pressures as high as 750psi, the injectors are dual-mode and it will lean burn at 40:1!

simpleton