Erasing error codes - ok to do?

Hey, is it generally acceptable to clear an O2 sensor code to see if it's triggered again? I don't have the specifics at the moment, but it was something like "unable to read signal from O2 sensor."

The error came on about 3 months ago after I got the cheapest and particularly nasty-smelling 87 gas. A few days later, I replaced my battery, the error code was reset, but on the same tank of gas, the error code came back on. I use 89 normally, and filled up with good gas. I erased it with a scanner, and it hasn't been on since.

Does leaving the error code on make the central computer behave differently? Should I generally not erase codes and wait for more to be recorded?

Reply to
antosha

If it cleared up and did not come back - don't worry about it.

Reply to
John