Please help w/ error codes 21 and 32

Yesterday I decided to check the computer for error codes after dealing for weeks with rough iddle and poor gas milleage. I used an actron/// scanner and performed a "key on engine running" test, the computer gave me two error codes, 21 and 32.

The book that came with the scanner describes the following...

Error 21: Engine Coolant Temperature (ETC) sensor signal voltage: not at normal operating temperature or loss of signal.

Solution: Replace the ETC sensor? It has never been replaced.

Error 32: EGR Valve Position (EVP) sensor or Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) sensor - signal voltage is below closed limit or has gone beyond set limits. or, Problems with EGR valve controlling.

Solution: Replace the EVP sensor? I replaced the EGR valve 2 months ago and the iddle improved, finally noticed a change in the engine's rpms when it was started cold till it reached normal temperature. the sensor is the old one that came with the car.

Thank you very much for your help.

Reply to
Pepito

Pepito opined in news:2004110709445616807%josephamadeusNSPAM@mindspringcom:

Was the engine at normal operating temps when you ran the test?

The ECT sensor is the two-wire at center base intake, under the gooseneck Hard to get to because of fuel rail.

But you should have had either cold or hot start problems if the ECT is out of range..

You could just change both for drill... I suppose, but the ECT would really affect mileage more than the EGR, I would think.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I thought it was the opposite, you must know better than I do. The engine was warm when I ran the test but it never shows the correct temperature. It always show to low. I do have starting problems, takes a little and a couple of tries to start the engine...

Reply to
Pepito

Thanks a bunch BM, I took a look at a Chilton manual I have and it looks like the fault of poor mileage and rough idle is the ETC sensor I just can't figure out where it is located. There's no description in the book and I haven't had any look searching online, can you tell me more about its location?

Reply to
Pepito

93 documentation indicates sensor in R/H rear of engine, below the throttle body. Connector has grey and light green wires both with red traces. Your 88 may differ.

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Pepito opined

There's a coolant passage from the head in the center of the lower part of the intake. It sits in there, as I said,VERY near the injector fuel rail. Wires in same harness as the injector wires.

UNDER the upper intake gooseneck.

This has NOTHING to do with the gauge, by the way. Which sensor is UNDER the lower intake and outside- and one wire opposed to ECT two-wire

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks for the info Mike.

Reply to
Pepito

Thanks a bunch BM that really helps, I will take a look today and let you know later on what happened.

Reply to
Pepito

Reply to
Pepito

More updates, I ran the test this time "key on engine running" and it shows the same codes as before, 21 and 32. Does any one know the "surgery" steps to replace the ETC sensor? Looks kinda hard to get there.

Reply to
Pepito

PFE is a different type of feedback used on EGR systems. Yours uses EVP feedback.

Are you getting a solid check engine light or random illumination???

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

No light at all, I found out because I ran the test, I think the check engine light works because I can read the codes from there also.

Reply to
Pepito

You might want to check the 5 volt reference by removing the connector from the EVP sensor and measuring between VREF (O/W wire) and RTN (BK/W wire) using KOEO. Result should be close to 5 volts. Hopefully those color codes are correct. I would also wiggle the harness and verify no intermittent loss of VREF. If you don't have or know how to use a voltmeter, then disregard....

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

Have you verified the correct thermostat temp rating and operation??? Is the coolant system properly bled and topped off??? This is helpfull to know before shotgunning an ECT sensor, especially if accessibility is difficult....

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

I will check that way first before replacing the sensor, all wires look healthy by a visual I got today but you never know. It would be nice if I could read the codes in the check engine like I used to in my dodge daytona, rather than having to connect the code reader every time.

Reply to
Pepito

I replaced both sensors and so far the car has ran better than before with no error codes, the only thing is that the idle gets rough from time to time, it is not a 24/7 thing, does anybody have an idea what it could be?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Reply to
Pepito