Help with noise

I have an import (to the UK) Pajero

5 door, LWB 2800 Diesel There is a kind a sssshhhhh........ noise coming from outside only whilst moving, when the brakes are applied the noise goes away, release the brakes and it comes back again. I seem to remember some time ago reading on this NG that the imports have slightly thinner brake disks and are more prone to warping, could it be that that's making the noise? Has anybody else had this and what is the resolution?

Many thanks for any help.

Den

Reply to
Den

"Den" wrote in news:AhS9e.594$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

Warping would be noticable with a wobble through the steering when using the brakes. seems to me you have a 'squeeking' brake shim/disk, try a pressure wash of the wheels/discs then drive, if no or short relief try cleaning the pads and discs.

Some smaller fast fit oprations do a very cheap brake service and will note any faults.

Parts can be had quite cheaply, a simple search revealed... Shogun Pajero 2.8 TD Pads No. 781 about £30 inc VAT and nxt day delivery Discs vary with vented no.2034 at £39 eask inclusive. Vented Disc 276 x 24mm Imported - Disc No. 2109 £82 each. as they are larger diameter 314 x 24mm note the same thickness.

I am not recommending the parts location as not used them. if you wish I'll post the link later.

SamWitch

it may be the wear indicators on your brake pads, they do have tendency to stop making noise when the brakes are applied. check your brake pads (remove the wheel to check th inside ones, dont just look through the wheel)

Reply to
Peter Lee