Mondeo CV problem ?

I've got a problem with my Mondeo that two garages have failed to diagnose. Anybody here like to suggest cause ?

The problem is a grinding noise when accelerating whilst turning right. Turning left is no problem - no noise.

The near side wheel bearing has been replaced and I've checked both wheels for movement - there isn't any at all so I think the bearings are fine.

When I dip the clutch to disengage drive, I can steer right as hard as I like (without accelerating obviously) and there's no noise. This I think proves it's not wheel bearing or the wheel rubbing on anything. Also proves it's not the brakes.

My thought is that it's a CV joint, probably outer CV joint on the near side. BUT, when on full lock (left and right) there's no clicking.

I got under the car today and neither drive shaft will turn without the wheel moving, there's no appreciable free play in the shafts. Both shafts will move left and right slightly, maybe by about 1cm using hand pressure only but I think they're supposed to do this.

The only sign that all isn't well apart from the noise, is that the near side tyre is wearing very slightly more on the outside edge that it should, but not enough to warrant doing anything about it given that it's only just apparent now after 10,000 miles on new tyres.

Anybody had anything similar ? Bit reluctant to take it to Ford so they can start replacing bits on the off chance it will cure the problem, but don't want to leave it as sure as anything, it'll fail at the least appropriate time, probably outside lane of M25 in the rush hour !

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Rushing7

it might be stating the obvious, but there isn't any bits of trim flapping about inside the wheelarch are there? like the arch liner which may have come adrift? and what year is it? mk1? mk2? mk3? it's a help :)

Reply to
dojj

Sorry, yep would help wouldn't it ! :-) It's a MkII 1999 1.8 TD Estate.

No trim flapping about, removed the undertray today to have a good poke about and nothing obvious. Suspension, anti roll bar etc all seem OK, nothing moving more than it should or loose.

All I can think of is a CV joint or possibly a suspension bush that under acceleration, is worn enough to allow the lower arm to move sufficiently far for vibration to be transferred to the chassis from the arm.

Reply to
Rushing7

In message , Rushing7 writes

It's probably not this but worth a mention:-

When I bought my Mk2, I noticed a grating/groaning sound when reversing out my drive using full lock. It turned out to be caused by incorrect sized tyres on the front rubbing on the metal brace for the front bumper which sits just in front of the wheel. The correct tyre size was

205/50/16 but because these are one of those expensive sizes, the previous owner fitted cheaper 205/55/16 rubber.

Fouling of the steering should be an MOT failure but mine had got its ticket just before I bought it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Inner wishbone bushes worn? Known Mundano fault.

Reply to
SimonJ

was about to say that when I read his reply to the other post :)

Reply to
dojj

Done a bit of testing today and have heard and low, deep ticking I would hear with a worn CV so this is probably what's causing it.

Reply to
Rushing7

Having said that, I think the slight wear on the outside of the tyre is probably wishbone bushes so that's something else to add to the list !

Reply to
Rushing7

Outer shoulder wear on a Mondeo is nothing unusual at all!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith