Infrequent Rough Idle in Morning

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, V-6, 5-speed manual transmission.

84,000 miles, the oil is changed every 3,000 miles and the car is generally well maintained. I always fill it with premium fuel. I don't hot rod the car although I do take advantage of the extra power and handling from time to time on the freeway.

About three months ago, I started the car and headed off to work. At the end of our street, about one-third of a mile, I stopped at the stop sign. The road is inclined slightly uphill at that point. The idle suddenly got very rough and the tach jumped between 600 and 900 as I sat there. Also, the "Check Engine Soon" light went on. I headed out onto the main road, driving several miles at 40-45 MPH. At the first stop light, the idle had smoothed out but the check light stayed on. There was no further problem with the idle and the check light went out the next afternoon.

The car ran without incident until this Monday, when the same process repeated. Rough idle at the first stop in the morning, check light goes on, no more idle problems, check light goes off the next afternoon.

Any ideas about what could be causing this? I don't want to take it into the shop unless I need to but I don't want this infrequent, minor problem to lead to something serious.

Thanks for any answers,

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

First guess would be a clogged up EGR valve. Your best bet is to get the codes scanned before you start trying to diagnose the problem. Since the CEL light went on there will be a stored code. It should point you in the right direction. Places like Autozone will scan the codes free.

Reply to
NickySantoro