Mitsubishi Galant 91 - Sensor?

I have a Mitsubishi Galant 91 that has a problem starting when the engine is cold. I start the car and the engine dies if I don?t keep putting pressure on the gas. After the car is warmed up it run?s fine. Another method is to keep pumping the gas and a big pump on the accelerator when I put the car in reverse to pull out of my driveway. The engine will not shut off this way but shakes until it is warm. I have gotten a diagnostic on the car but they said my car is too old for their machines. A few places have said it is a sensor but don?t know which one it is. This is also the reason my Check Engine light is on. I have a friend who can fix the problem but does not know which sensor to replace or fix. Can anybody help?

Reply to
mbish555

simpleton

Look at the coolant temp sensor on the casting where the upper rad hose connects to the engine. There's two wires. Make sure the wires are undamaged, as they often get heat, age and corrosion damage. Its this sensor, or rather its connector, that causes hard start when cold. If the connector or wires are damaged, go to a wrecker and look at all the Mitsubishi vehicles for a decent replacement. I've never had a sensor fail.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS