Montero 1990 Oxygen Sensor Service Engine Light

This engine is in my 1990 Montero. Recently, I replaced the oxygen sensor as the service engine light kept staying on and the code in the computer was for the oxygen sensor, plus the car was sucking lots of gas. After replacing the sensor, the fuel economy went back up, but the service engine light goes on and off, and it's the same code for the oxygen sensor. Any ideas? Thanks in advance !

Reply to
septicman

If it is a V6 it has two upstream sensors and one after the cat. The upstream are the only ones you should replace.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

i had the same problem and had to disconnect the battery for a minute or so to clear the code from the computer. it never returned.

Reply to
dookie

I know this post is fairly old, but did you replace the Oxygen sensor yourself, or have it done? How much did it cost? I have 170,000 miles on my 1990 Montero and I was just kind of wondering how hard it is to replace it yourself. It seems like the wire (enclosed in a cable) would be hard to reroute, or do you just splice it? Thanks

Reply to
Buffalo