Why no 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipses around?

I'm just curious why these are so hard to find. I've got a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse I'm restoring to new condition. Still runs like a bat out of hell, just needs some cosmetic items - plastic parts, upholstery and detailing to bring back to new look.

For the last year or so I have looked around locally and online to see what is worth and can't find any of these for sale. Also struck out getting replies from Mitsubishi car clubs.

If I didn't own one, I would guess that they are all off the road. KBB value is super low typical of a 26 year old car. But to me the classic value and the fact that it's still good transportation should be higher. Still gets over 25 mpg, passes smog with flying colors, etc...

Also have researched DSM 1G's and don't see any reasons they would not be an ideal collector car or hot rod.

I'd like to hear any comments about this car from people who have owned one of the DSM 1Gs. I know that the model changed after 1990-91.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mitzu

For the last year or so I have looked around locally and online to see what is worth and can't find any of these for sale. Also struck out getting replies from Mitsubishi car clubs.

If I didn't own one, I would guess that they are all off the road. KBB value is super low typical of a 26 year old car. But to me the classic value and the fact that it's still good transportation should be higher. Still gets over 25 mpg, passes smog with flying colors, etc...

Also have researched DSM 1G's and don't see any reasons they would not be an ideal collector car or hot rod.

I'd like to hear any comments about this car from people who have owned one of the DSM 1Gs. I know that the model changed after 1990-91.

Thanks.

PS -- I forgot to say that I'm not selling it. Just curious why I don't see them.

Reply to
Mitzu

I know what you mean. It's really rare to see a 1g around here. Imo the rea son you don't see them anymore most have been sold and bought cheap by thei r 3rd or 4th owner that attempted to rice it out on the cheap and ran the S not out of it.

I do believe there's a good chance of them going up in value especially for clean unmodified examples. There's a market for Japanese turbo cars from t he 90's. Have you seen the prices for a good condition supra?

Good luck on your restoration! The plastic bits and interior parts you need will probably be hard to find. Alot of parts for these Cars have been disc ontinued and are Nla. For example the black rubber trim that goes at the bo ttom of the door glass has been Nla for years and it seems most of them are bad. Luckily I replaced mine before they went Nla. At one point I was tryi ng to find a power Window motor/regulator for mine. I consulted the local m itsubishi dealer supposedly there was one in Alabama but after calling they didn't have it. I tried to find one online, ordered from 2 different compa nies both refunded my money after they realized they didn't have it/couldn' t get it. Luckily my problem was just a stripped bolt hole and I fixed it w ith a smaller bolt and nut.

I would love to know the number made with specific options. You always the old American car collectors saying things like there were only 6 made in th is color with bucket seats. I think mine might be rare if I could find the numbers. I have a 92 GS-T in white. With leather seats, abs, moonroof, 5 sp eed and factory Cd. I've never seen another optioned like it. It's as loade d as these Cars can get minus Awd. Luckily it's just old enough not to have the version of the 4g63 known for crankwalk.

Sorry for the long rambling post. Btw the 1g ran from 89 to 94.

Reply to
Chance

[...]

-----

Good to read your post! I think you and I must be the only ones checking this newsgroup. I will keep looking for info on the 1G's and post if I find anything. Mine has about 130K miles and mechanically sound. Rebuilt the trans and heads at about 100K. Interior is like new except for drivers side which needs redone, and the plastic/rubber top of the dash is starting to deform. About ready for repainting. It would make a good sporty car for a kid, but I may just end up keeping it I heard that surfer kids at the local high school like this model because they can put the back seat down and fit several boards inside.

Reply to
Mitzu